9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2012 7:49 AM by Bill Robinson RSS

How to configure Job Server in BSA v82

raj@bmc

Hi,

I have currently Windows 2008 based BSA v82 server in prod.and working fine. But curious about why and when we need a separate Job server? If i want to get how to configure it?

Is there any Hardware sizing info how to calculate Job / config / database servers in terms of servers?

Right now i have only application server which is having config / Job in same place.

Thanks in Advance.

-Raj

• 1. Re: How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    Jim Wilson

Please review these - they will help

Configuring the Application Server

BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Best Practices for Deployment and Configuration

NOTE: A support login is required to access these documents, so you may need to register, if you have not already done so.

Although the White Paper has not specifically been updated for BSA 8.2, I believe it's guidance still applies.

(Others may offer their suggestions)

HTH

• 2. Re: How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    Bill Robinson

Typically we recommend separating the CONFIG/NSH_PROXY and JOB profiles into separate instances.  This will generally improve UI performance.  Typically you add more JOB instances so you can run jobs in your environment faster.

I don’t think the doc touches on it much, but if you are running the appservers as VMs what many customers will do is create a number of 8-12g, 2vcpu VMs and put a single instance of the apppserver on each.  So they might have 2 CONFIG/NSH_PROXY and 3 JOB for a total of 5 VMs.   it’s not advisable to run more than a single instance of an appserver on a vm.

If you have physical hardware you can probably scale ‘larger’ where we’ve seen customers run 8core/cpu boxes w/ 32gb of memory and multiple appserver instances for example.

Generally I prefer to scale out (many small VMs) as it’s like building legos.

• 3. How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    raj@bmc

Thanks for all replies, but could you please let me know how to create a separate Job server for BBSA?

• 5. How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    raj@bmc

Some more queries,

I have a plan to create two BBSA app server one with config / nsh_proxy settings and other as Job server.

1)  If i create a new application server and opted by default it comes with Server Profile type All and Service Type   Automatic. I can't change this to Config / nsh_proxy? I can't even see at the time of installation to change the server Profile to Job or others?

2) As per the above mentioned link i see the option how to create new app server instance to Job type, i created the same but unable to start the new Job instance.

3) If i create new Job app server instance how my Job will re-direct to new instance instead of old one?

I tried to create new Job instance on my running single  app server in DEV env.

Please find the attached screen dump and kindly suggest.

Job Server.png

Job Server-1.png

-Raj

• 6. How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    Bill Robinson

you have a couple options w/ a new server.

1 - install the appserver on the new box.  finish the configuration wizard.  run 'blasadmin' then use the 'create' command to create the new instances.  this will create you job instance and whatever else and show not create an ALL instance.

2 - connect to another server in this 'cluster', then launch infra mgr.  connect to the appserver launcher for the host you want to put the new instances on. delete the default instance, and create the new instances.

3 - if you have only a single host do this.  login. open infra mgr.  create a new config instance called temp1.  change your authprofiles file to connect to the ports for that instance.  login to that instance.  delete the ALL, then create a the new config/nsh_proxy.  change the auth profiles back to the new instance, then connect and delete temp1.

• 7. How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    raj@bmc

Thanks for your reply , i will check and get back to you.

• 8. Re: How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    raj@bmc

I tried to create new job server , but getting below error messages says bladmin login failed?

ENV : W2k8 v8.2 Single server.

Trying via Infra Mgmt.

[07 Aug 2012 13:45:59,403] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting Management Service ...

[07 Aug 2012 13:45:59,450] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Management Service started.

[07 Aug 2012 13:45:59,450] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting App Server Data Source...

[07 Aug 2012 13:45:59,497] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] Error installing to Start: name=bladelogic.service.AsDataSourceService

state=Create

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user 'bladmin'.

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.shared.db.pool.BlDbcpConnPool.init(BlDbcpConnPool.java:147)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.db.BlDbPooledDataSource.createConnectionPool(BlDbPooledDataSource.java:53

)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.shared.db.pool.BlPooledDbDataSource.start(BlPooledDbDataSource.java:68)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.db.BlAsDbDataSource.start(BlAsDbDataSource.java:187)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.jboss.joinpoint.plugins.reflect.ReflectMethodJoinPoint.dispatch(ReflectMethodJoinPoint.java:72)

at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$DispatchJoinPoint.run(KernelControllerCont

extActions.java:631)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions.dispatchJoinPoint(KernelControllerContextA

ctions.java:99)

at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$LifecycleAction.installAction(KernelContro

llerContextActions.java:452)

at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$1.run(KernelControllerContextActions.java:

BL Error 1.png

BL Error 2.png

• 9. Re: How to configure Job Server in BSA v82
    Bill Robinson

on your appserver, become root.  then run 'su - bladmin'.  what happens ?