SIM Service Model upgrade to BPPM 8.6?

Simius .

Hi everyone,

I am planning the following upgrade:

Current BMC environment:

- CMDB 7.6.00

- SIM 7.3

Future BMC environment:

- CMDB 7.6.04  (with CMDB extension installed for BPPM)

- BPPM 8.6.xx

Will I be able to see the service model (CI's and Relationships) of the current environment in BPPM?

This is what I'm planning to do...

1) CMDB upgrade

2) BPPM new installation

As far as I know my SIM service model has its CI's and Relationships in the CMDB in 2 datasets: ASSET and IMPACT PROD, so I think that using the Impact Model Designer (IMD) I will be able to see and modify the service model that is in the ASSET dataset.

So what I'm thinking about is to modify the presentation cell of all of the CI's using IMD (specifying the BPPM cell instead of the old SIM cell) and publish the modified model to the BPPM cell.

Am I missing something? Is there anyone that has already done a similar upgrade (SIM to BPPM) and found any problem with this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Simius

• 1. SIM Service Model upgrade to BPPM 8.6?
    Madhu Kandi

Hi Simius,

In addition to changing the cell alias, you also need to set the 'Publish to BMC Proactivenet Performance Manager(BPPM)' radio button for the top-level CI to 'Yes and Propagate: Publish Me and My Providers (for optimal performance, select Yes only for top level CIs)'. Please note that the cell alias and this flag need to be set only for top-level CIs and not for all CIs in the service model. If the cell alias for all non-top-level CIs is already set to the old SIM cell, please make sure to change the value to 'Default'.

BTW, as you may know, BPPM doesn't use the IMPACT.PROD dataset and will store the needed info in an AR form.

Thanks,

Madhu

• 2. SIM Service Model upgrade to BPPM 8.6?
    Simius .

Thank you Madhu, do you know where I can find the form name in the documentations? Is this described in any document?

Best Regards,

Simius

• 3. SIM Service Model upgrade to BPPM 8.6?
    Madhu Kandi

Hi Simius,

The form name is PN:PublishedData. It is mentioned in the BMC ProactiveNet Service Modelling and Publishing Guide.

Thanks,

Madhu

• 4. Re: SIM Service Model upgrade to BPPM 8.6?
    Simius .

Hi Madhu,

I've tried to promote and publish the service model in the suggested way but I am getting the following error:

promotion error2.png

error.png

It looks there is an authentication error that prevents the Relationships promotion.

The log file contains several errors like this:

[2013/03/29 11:51:52.7170] [ ERROR ] [TID: 0000001760]  :  ARERR[623] Authentication failed

[2013/03/29 11:51:52.7170] [ ERROR ] [TID: 0000001760]  : ARERR[623] Authentication failed

[2013/03/29 11:51:52.7170] [ ERROR ] [TID: 0000001760]  : Merging of record failed:

[2013/03/29 11:51:52.7170] [ ERROR ] [TID: 0000001760]  :  Class: BMC.CORE:BMC_BusinessService

[2013/03/29 11:51:52.7170] [ ERROR ] [TID: 0000001760]  :  Reconciliation IdentityId: OI-CECB2FF910774041BD095C046ABCDF97

[2013/03/29 11:51:52.7170] [ ERROR ] [TID: 0000004184]  : Error in updating instance for class <BMC.CORE:BMC_BusinessService> for instance id

The AtriumPluginSVR log file contains the following error:

29 2013 13:47:29.018 ERROR (                          ?:?    ) - getEntry() FAILs in plugin: BMC.ARDBC.DEPRECATION.PLUGIN

ERROR (623): Authentication failed;

at com.bmc.arsys.apitransport.ApiProxyJRpcBase.verifyStatus(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.apitransport.ApiProxyJRpcBase.a(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.apitransport.ApiProxyJRpcBase.arCall(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.api.ProxyJRpc.ARGetEntry(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.api.ARServerUser.getEntry(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.cmdb.plugins.deputil.CMDBDeprecationPlugin.getEntry(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.plugins.a.ArdbcGet(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.a.ArEsArdbcGet_5(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.pluginsvr.a.ArEsArdbcGet_4(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.arrpc.ARPluginServerDispatcher.dispatchOncRpcCall(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.arrpc.nio.ArRpcCallHandler.dispatchCall(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.arrpc.nio.ArRpcCallHandler.if(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.arrpc.nio.ArRpcCallHandler.processRpcCall(Unknown Source)

at com.bmc.arsys.arrpc.nio.ArRpcCallHandler$Processor.run(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Are these errors expected? Is there anything that must be modfied?

Thanks in andvance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Simius