1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 8:00 PM by Robert Stinnett

CTM JOBS EXECUTION TIME

Share This:

Hi everybody

I want to know if CTM introduce any overhead to the job execution compared to a manual execution. For example, in my work we run a script in an unix platform(Solaris). The script execute about 1200 commands and the total execution time gets to 7 min. When we put those 1200 commands in a CTM job flow and run it , the total execution time is 1H 15 Min!!!!!. I want to know if its normal that CTM introduce overhead to the job execution time or if there is a problem here.

Regards.

Elvin I.

• 1. CTM JOBS EXECUTION TIME
          Robert Stinnett

When jobs are running, Control-M is merely waiting in the background waiting for them to finish.  It does not interfere with the run in any way.  If it runs at the command prompt normally, it will run through Control-M.

What I've usually seen that causes this is either the machine is misconfigured, the machine is overloaded, or the environment is different in some aspect from when they run it "manually" vs. batch.  You have to compare apples to apples -- and that is the tricky part sometimes.

My first question would be, if I was researching this, why are you running 1,200 commands in a script file?  That defeats the purpose of Control-M in more ways than I can possibly type out here.  I'm not saying create a 1,200 "job" workflow, but they need to be breaking those down into more manageable tasks.  Otherwise, if you fail on command 1,199 you are going to have to restart all the way from the beginning -- that's not going processing logic.

Robert