9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 12:25 AM by Amey Bagwe RSS

CMDB CDM Diagram

pega

Hi,

Is CMDB CDM Diagram logical model or actual physical tables?

For instance, BMC_ComputerSystem has AdminPasswordStatus, HostName etc

and BMC_Application has ApplicationType

Thanks,

Alex

• 1. Re: CMDB CDM Diagram
    Curtis Rowell

It is the logical model, but also represents the primary tables because each form represents a table anf each form is represented here.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

• 2. Re: CMDB CDM Diagram
    Josie George

CDM is a logical model, whose class maps to view (Join) forms which in turn map to one ot more physical tables in DB.

• 3. CMDB CDM Diagram
    pega

Does that mean  BMC_ComputerSystem is not a actual table in CMDB database?

Thanks,

Alex

• 4. Re: CMDB CDM Diagram
    Curtis Rowell

Yes, each form represents a form in the cmdb.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

• 5. Re: CMDB CDM Diagram
    careyw

Alex

Each class form, like BMC_ComputerSystem, in the CMDB, is best  thought of as a view of SOME underlying database table(s). This is not always as simple as that sounds, but understanding that lack of simplicity is not something that can be covered in a forum like this, it is covered in several Atrium CMDB courses covering several days! I used to teach the Atrium CMDB classes and they contain very good material to get you on top of these and other CMDB topics.

The CMDB is an ARS application just like Service Desk or Change Management. As such it is written with the same conventions around how it uses the unerlying database. There ARE physical database tables there obviously, but anything you deal with at the user level in Remedy, is representing an abstraction of those Oracle or MS SQL or other DB vendor objects. The reason the CMDB training is so important is that they take you through all that cleverness so you understand how it's been engineered.

So in summary, at least for BMC_ComputerSystem, it is what they call a join form. This means it is the result of joining one or more regular forms. These regular forms are (mostly) views of underlying physical tables.

• 6. CMDB CDM Diagram
    Amey Bagwe

Hi Alex,

In addition to that you might wanna refer to the document "BMC Atrium CMDB Common Data Model Diagram" where you will find the CDM architecture and hierarchy with class specific attributes.

There are a few common attributes which are inherited from the BMC_BaseElement class. So you will find these attributes (e.g. ADDMIntegrationID) in every class / form you open.

The relationship structure is also drawn on the CDM diagram. It is a large diagram so the best way to study it is take a print and hang it on the wall

thanks.

• 7. CMDB CDM Diagram
    pega

Is there a Remedy table definition or data dictionary I can download?

Interested in tables and columns for mapping since CDM is just join forms.

Thanks,

Alex

• 8. CMDB CDM Diagram
    Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry but there isn't such a dictionary.

You can find out by checking the ArSchema table for the different class names.

• 9. CMDB CDM Diagram
    Amey Bagwe

Hi Alex,

If you want to know which field in which class in CDM is created for what purpose then there is a simple method of using the help which is provided in the "Description" for every field.

• Open CMDB Console
    • goto class manager
    • open the class
    • click on attributes tab, select attribute and click on view. Check the description in the description field.

Note: The description may not give you all the information you need, but you will get the basic purpose of that field.

field_info.png

One more method is using the CMDB Online help, I have never used it frankly speaking, but would try it out soon.

Thanks.