6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 1:54 PM by Robert Stinnett

RPM Dependencies

Robert Stinnett

I'm a very, very new Bladelogic newbie (we are still going through POC).  However, we've made good progress while waiting for BMC to come on-site and help us.  I'm learning as I go along -- the best way in my opinion sometimes!

I'm a little stumped and could use some advice.  I am trying to deploy out RabbitMQ to a RHEL5 server.  RabbitMQ depends on ERLANG which has about 60 other dependencies.

I've downloaded all the RPMs and imported them into Bladelogic.  However, I cannot figure out how to setup the dependency tree in Bladelogic.  Bladelogic tries to deploy the RabbitMQ package and then immediate fails because the dependencies have not been met.

I tried a RPM Group, but apparently I either did it wrong or it isn't doing what I thought it should be doing.

Can anyone share some insight or point me in a direction to check in the manuals?

Robert Stinnett

• 1. Re: RPM Dependencies
          Bill Robinson

You need to use a patch analysis job, and select the ‘install mode’ on the 2nd tab.  Add a filter for just the rpm name you want and run the job – that will create a deploy job w/ the deps.

• 2. Re: RPM Dependencies

For all the things you can do with yum, some people might have used satellite to install /upgrade rpms on redhat,

Everything , all those actions can be done using BladeLogic.

As suggested by Bill, create a patch catalog point it to your repository containing all rpms required. It can also  be one huge repository containing many rpms or  complete redhat channel.

Do a patch catalog update and then use a patch analysis job in install mode with include list as one of the main rpms you intend to install.

It will automatically fetch all dependencies and give you a deploy job, it uses yum install behind the scenes , BladeLogic's very own yum called Blyum shipped with every agent.

• 3. Re: RPM Dependencies
              Robert Stinnett

Thanks for the information guys.

It seems to make this patch functionality work I need to create my own RPM repo outside of Bladelogic since it wants to point to a patch catalog.  I don't want it to be pulling down the latest version from a public repo everytime it runs.  This seems very cumbersome looking at it from a new perspective.  That means that we'll need to create yet another server to host the RPM repo -- or am I missing something?  I already imported the RPMs into Bladelogic, but it doesn't appear to let me be able to use them.

• 4. Re: RPM Dependencies

The advantage of using patch functionality is that you don't have to worry about the dependencies, the job will do that for you.

Otherwise, you can add all rpms , you should know the complete list of dependencies yourself, add them to depot

Create a rpm group in a blpackage, add all these rpms to the rpm group inside a blpackage.

• 5. Re: RPM Dependencies
                  Bill Robinson

For blade patching you need a redhat helper.  It does not need to have httpd running.  so you can build a repo of your custom rpms on that server.  there’s a section in the user guide about how to import custom reports using the offline downloader (you don’t actually download anything, the downloader runs createrepo among other things).

The only way to get rpms to install and have them automatically resolve dependencies is to have them in a repo and use yum, or have the whole set of rpms available when you run the rpm –Uvh command.  if you already know all the deps you need to install you can create a blpackage that contains all the rpms w/ all the deps.  If you don’t know all the deps, then the rpms you are installing need to be in a repo.

It sounds like you may have all of the rpms that you need, then in that case I think a rpm group should work.  how did you create it?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. RPM Dependencies
                    Robert Stinnett

Thanks everyone.  I just wanted to let you know I used the Group concept since I knew all the dependencies and the package deployed succesfully!

Onwards and upwards!