8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 4:49 AM by Nikhil Warrier RSS

restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset

Lalit Joshi

Experts, I need your advice/help here, I want to configure a RE job to accomplish following requirements.  1. Do not identify and merge CIs to BMC Asset which are new (means recon id is '0') in Import datasets. 2. If an existing CI has some update in Import dataset apply the same to BMC Asset.    Classes in scope - Computer System, Operating System and Product Relationship - HostedSystemCoponent between CompSys - OS, CompSys - Product

• 1. restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Curtis Rowell

When building your identification job, deselect the "Use all classes and instances" check box (bottom left corner).  This makes the Qualification Set option available.  You can now click the 'eliptical' button to the right of the Qualification Set field.

Define your qualification set name, specify your name space then click New Rule - define what class and name space you will use for the rule.

Click Build Qualification something like:  $ReconciliationIdentity$ != "0"

In the Identification Job, uncheck the "Generate ID's" check box at the bottom right of the window. Selecting this triggers auto-assignment.

With the above qualification set, if no identity is assigned, The Identification job should ignore the new CI.

Now you just have to have another Identification Job which DOES auto assign an ID which you run manually after you've done what you need to do.

I think that should do it.

• 2. restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Lalit Joshi

Thanks for your reply. I have created a new qualification and configured in my Recon Job. I have also tested this with single CIs and looks like working however I still need to test it for weak relationships.  I am using Standard Recon rules. I want to know what will be the case of a CI exists in BMC Asset but not in Import dataset. Later is again imported in Import dataset. will that CI also identified? is not then i am happy.

• 3. restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Devendra Yadav

If any CI is present only in BMC Asset not in source then RE will not take any action on that. when same CI which is in ASSET comes in Souce(with RID=0) - ID Activity: Recond ID from BMC ASSET get coppied to SOURCE, Merge Activiry : Any changes in SOUCE CI gets Merged in Target CI.

• 4. Re: restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Curtis Rowell

If the qualificatiion works as I believe it should, the new CI in the import dataset would 'fail' identification.  Upon failing, it should end up in the Manual Identification console of Recon where you can manually match it with its BMC.ASSET opposite after you have validated the new ci in import.  You may need some precedence rules to protect manual edits in asset and such.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

• 5. Re: restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Devendra Yadav

Agree crowell, If Qualifications are defined in scuh a way which restricts CIs to be picked, it will never be picked. and user is always free to go for manual ID.

• 6. Re: restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Lalit Joshi

Yes, just now I have tested one scenario where a computer system CI was available in BMC Asset with stats = Delete but CI was not available in Import dataset (due to decommissioned). I manually created the same CI in Import dataset then simply Ran the Recon job which has a Qualification $ReconciliationIdentity$ != "0". CI didn’t identified and merged to Asset. That’s what I wanted to achieve. But Still I want to know how this will work for weakly related CIs (HostedSystemCoponent between CompSys - OS, CompSys – Product).

To handle new CIs I have an another reconciliation job. This job need to trigger manually by Asset Team. It is identifying new CIs (RID=0)and merging them to BMC Asset. One Qualification is used here which only looks for CIs where status = ‘Deployed’ and RID=’0’.

Regards

Lalit Joshi

• 7. Re: restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Curtis Rowell

When you defined the rule, there is a column for related CI's.  I have not used this in practice but you should be able to create a rule for each parent/child relationship set.

I look forward to hearing how you make out with this.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

• 8. Re: restricting reconciliation job to create new CIs in Asset
    Nikhil Warrier

-Any job with Standard Rules will have ID groups for all classes which will include the ones you need - Comp-Prod and Comp-OS.

-If the intent is to not have any other classes updated, unchecking 'Standard rules for participating datasets' on a custom job can help you add rulesets for specific classes

- There is also a way in the old cmdb:console to create an ID group with a new rule.

- If it is ok for the rule to be a part of all Standard Jobs, you can also add the rule from the Standard Rules Editor

Thanks,

Nikhil.