1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 3:20 AM by Javier Herraiz

Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

Joe Piotrowski

I created a Red Hat 5 (64-bit) Analysis Job in Install Mode, and Included:

- Erratas

- Irrelevant Patches

- RPMs

When I run this Analysis Job against some target Red Hat 5.5 64-bit servers I get the following error:

Error Feb 23, 2012 5:20:33 AM STDERR: ERROR::YUM dry run failedERROR::samba3x conflicts with sambaERROR::samba3x-client conflicts with sambaERROR::freeradius2 conflicts with freeradiusERROR::samba3x-doc conflicts with sambaERROR::postgresql84-devel conflicts with postgresql-develERROR::unixODBC64 conflicts with unixODBCERROR::bind97-utils conflicts with bind-utilsERROR::samba3x-client conflicts with samba-clientERROR::unixODBC64-devel conflicts with unixODBC-develERROR::postgresql84-python conflicts with postgresql-pythonERROR::bind97 conflicts with caching-nameserverERROR::postgresql84-contrib conflicts with postgresql-contribERROR::samba3x-common conflicts with sambaERROR::samba3x-winbind conflicts with samba-commonERROR::php53-common conflicts with php-commonERROR::bind97 conflicts with bindERROR::samba3x-swat conflicts with samba-swatERROR::postgresql84-tcl conflicts with postgresql-tclERROR::samba3x conflicts with samba-clientERROR::bind97-libs conflicts with bind-libsERROR::freeradius2 conflicts with freeradius-postgresqlERROR::samba3x-common conflicts with samba-clientERROR::bind97-devel conflicts with bind-libbind-develERROR::samba3x conflicts with samba-commonERROR::freeradius2 conflicts with freeradius-mysqlERROR::freeradius2 conflicts with freeradius-unixODBCERROR::samba3x-common conflicts with samba-commonERROR::bind97-devel conflicts with bind-develERROR::postgresql84-docs conflicts with postgresql-docsERROR::postgresql84-test conflicts with postgresql-testERROR::postgresql84-server conflicts with postgresql-serverERROR::postgresql84 conflicts with postgresqlERROR::tcsh617 conflicts with tcshERROR::bind97-chroot conflicts with bind-chroot

At first I thought it was because the target test servers were not registered with RHN, and could not use Yum. But I also tried running this Job against a similar server that is registered with RHN and get the same exact error.

• 1. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

what do you want to install with 'install mode' ? install mode is to install some rpm that was not already there. 

If you want to patch linux box try running it in update mode

• 2. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
            Joe Piotrowski

I'm teaching someone how to do Linuxing Patching and was attempting to show them the difference between Install Mode and Update Mode.

I was under the impression that Update Mode would only look at RPMs already installed on the system and show whether or not there was an available update.

Similarly, I was under the impression that Install Mode would scan the system for all RPMs that came with that system, and show whether they were installed or not.

Is that not correct?

• 3. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
              Joe Piotrowski

Under my Patch Catalog I created a new Patch Catalog Smart Group called "Apache" that contains only Patches where the word "apache" is found in the Description. I ran my Analysis Job against this smaller sub-set of Patches and get this error instead:

Error Feb 23, 2012 6:18:59 AM STDERR: ERROR::YUM dry run failedERROR::php53-common conflicts with php-common

I found another Communities thread talking about this same issue:

https://communities.bmc.com/communities/thread/48827

Does anyone know the root cause of this and what the fix is?

• 4. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

Thereotically yes, but It is not recommended to choose Install Mode if you are including all errata or all

RPMs from the catalog. Various conflicts and dependency issues between RPMs may occur, as install mode attempts to install RPMs for which the base versions or earlier versions are not present.

If you want to install missing RPM, you can make a whitelist of it and run analysis against your whitelist

• 5. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

Linux Patching in BladeLogic behaves exactly how it will behave when used outside diretcly using YUM.

The install and update mode are passed to the yum utiity  as install or update options.

See this for more details

http://linux.die.net/man/8/yum

In simple language, --

INSTALL mode tries to install all packages specified, and in your case the new packages are conflicting with  the existing installed ones or another packages within your install list .

In your example

samba3x conflicts with samba - This is  because the new release of Samba 3.0 and the previous release of the package called "Samba" are conflicting with each other. Please note that such conflicts can be with an already existing/installed package on your system or another package which you have included in the list to be installed.

Conflicts arise when two packages are trying to write/modify same files/configurations.

When to use INSTALL and when to use UPDATE:

Update is the most relevant answer to PATCHING - So if you want to update  existing packages on your system , - use update - The most of peopel for patching will use update

Install - Use with Caution -  When you knw that you want to install a new package for whch there are rpms available in the catalog.

for example - I dont have any version of Samaba installed on my system , i want to get it install, I will make an inlcude list in the catalog for these rpms - Do a analysis in INSTALL Mode - this will give me any other dependencies required and also any conflicts if there are any.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
                    Joe Piotrowski

Understood that for best practice, you would not run an analysis of all the RPMs against a system. But if I use "yum -install packageName" it will correctly tell me if the package is installed or not.

When I reduced the number of packages I was analyzing against, I'm getting this same error on all targets:

STDERR: ERROR::YUM dry run failedERROR::php53-common conflicts with php-common

I found a similar issue under another Communities thread linked above. What is the root cause of this? I know that createrepo and python-urlgrabber are required packages on my patch repo server. Do I also need to resolve this "php53-common conflicts with php-common" issue as well?

• 7. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
                      Joe Piotrowski

I ran yum on my Linux patch repo server against those 2 packages (php53-common and php-common) and neither of them are installed, and neither of them have dependencies. So I'm unclear as to the error message.

clolpa01# nexec -e yum install php53-common
                      Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
                      Setting up Install Process
                      Resolving Dependencies
                      --> Running transaction check
                      ---> Package php53-common.x86_64 0:5.3.3-5.el5 set to be updated
                      --> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

========================================================================================================================

Package                     Arch                  Version                    Repository                           Size
                      ========================================================================================================================

Installing:
                      php53-common                x86_64                5.3.3-5.el5                rhel-x86_64-server-5                605 k

Transaction Summary

Install       1 Package(s)
                      Upgrade       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 605 k
                      Is this ok [y/N]: N
                      Exiting on user Command
                      Complete!

----------

clolpa01# nexec -e yum install php-common
                      Resolving Dependencies
                      ---> Package php-common.x86_64 0:5.1.6-32.el5 set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

Package                   Arch                  Version                      Repository                           Size

Installing:
                      php-common                x86_64                5.1.6-32.el5                 rhel-x86_64-server-5                154 k

Transaction Summary

Install       1 Package(s)
                      Upgrade       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 154 k
                      Is this ok [y/N]: N
                      Exiting on user Command
                      Complete!

• 8. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

Try

yum install php53-common php-common

and let us know the results !

• 9. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
                          Joe Piotrowski

clolpa01# nexec -e yum install php53-common php-common

Resolving Dependencies
                          ---> Package php-common.x86_64 0:5.1.6-32.el5 set to be updated
                          ---> Package php53-common.x86_64 0:5.3.3-5.el5 set to be updated
                          --> Processing Conflict: php53-common conflicts php-common
                          php53-common-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64 from rhel-x86_64-server-5 has depsolving problems
                            --> php53-common conflicts with php-common
                          Error: php53-common conflicts with php-common
                          You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
                          You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                                                  package-cleanup --dupes
                                                  rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
                          The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.
                          clolpa01#

• 10. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

This is exactly how BladeLogic uses the Yum utility and you get conflicts.

These are both PHP packages but PHP53 is the newer release of PHP, but the base package php-common is still supported and will continue to get its updates ! so php-common.5.1.6 can have a later update as php-common.5.1.7 !

Google out for such know problems with Linux Packages !

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/error-php53-common-conflicts-with-php-common-884462/

You do get some problems like these while using the update mode as well, but they are really rare !

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
                              Joe Piotrowski

Just to make sure I understand you. When I specify an installed list of Linux RPMs for BladeLogic to check on, it doesn't check for them individually, it checks for them all at once?

Meaning, it will run one command like:

yum install package1 package2 package3... packageN

So in my initial check against all packages, it was finding numerous conflicts. When I narrowed my list of packages it only found one, specifically with php53-common and php-common?

• 12. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode
                                Joe Piotrowski

That was the issue, thank you Rohit! When I removed the PHP entries in my list of packages to scan for, it ran successfully. I appreciate you helping me troubleshoot this error.

• 13. Error running Linux Patch analysis in Install Mode

Good to know it works for you now  ! 

Thanks for the POINTS

1 2 Previous Next