5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 9:19 AM by Bill Robinson

bulkAssignServersToGroup - device keys

Narjit Najran

I am trying to use the ServerGroup bulkAssignServersToGroup unreleased command but am getting a 'no matches found' error:

blcli_execute ServerGroup bulkAssignServersToGroup "DBKey:SBLGroupModelKeyImpl:2048065-5692050" [2069004] false

nsh: no matches found: [2069004]

where 2069004 is the integer returned from Server getServerIdByName.

I have also tried with the DBKey of the server and get the same error

blcli_execute ServerGroup bulkAssignServersToGroup "DBKey:SBLGroupModelKeyImpl:2048065-5692050" [DBKey:SDeviceModelKeyImpl:2009196-2215093] false

nsh: no matches found: [DBKey:SDeviceModelKeyImpl:2009196-2215093]

The server does exist and I have tried with other servers.

The command expects the following input

groupDBKey  com.bladelogic.model.base.keys.SBLGroupKey  - the group to which the list of devices is to be assigned. 

keys  java.util.List  - device keys. 

existingServerCheck  Boolean

I'm just not sure what variable type is expected for the device keys... and if it is one of the above then why am I seeing this error?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. bulkAssignServersToGroup - device keys
          Bill Robinson

it expects a java.util.List - and it does not appear you are passing that.  i don't believe putting [] around a string makes it a list type object.

• 2. bulkAssignServersToGroup - device keys

An approach I thought might help is:

1. Use Jython

connect to bl

define blcli_run method

2. Jython does support java.util.List

import java.util

list = java.util.List()

blcli_run(jli,["ServerGroup","bulkAssignServersToGroup",groupid, keys, "false"])

The only problem this approach has is that Jython won't run Java methods which are protected or private.

So the java.util.List instantiation will return TypeError: No visible constructors for class (java.util.List).

Only way to resolve this is changing the jython settings:

# Setting this to false will allow Jython to provide access to
            # non-public fields, methods, and constructors of Java objects.
            .security.respectJavaAccessibility = false

And that's something we won't be changing on all hosts running the script which uses the bulkAssignServersToGroup command. Does it have to be that tricky isn't there a smarter solution?

• 3. Re: bulkAssignServersToGroup - device keys
              Bill Robinson

Also – why not just loop through and add individually?  I don’t think it will be that much slower if you are using the perf commands.

• 4. bulkAssignServersToGroup - device keys
                Narjit Najran

When I pass an argument of type java.util.List I get a command found but with mismatching arguments error...

Firstly I run something that returns a java.util.List

% blcli_execute Server bulkAddServers /C/tmp TestServers.csv UTF-8 false

[hostname1, hostname2]

Then store it in a variable

% blcli_storeenv server_list

% echo $server_list

[hostname1, hostname2]

And pass it to the bulkAssignServersToGroup command

% blcli_execute ServerGroup bulkAssignServersToGroup DBKey:SBLGroupModelKeyImpl:2048065-5692050 $server_list false

which gives

Command execution failed. com.bladelogic.cli.factory.CommandNotFoundException: Found command 'ServerGroup.bulkAssignServersToGroup' but with mismatching arguments.

Guess I could try a different approach..

• 5. bulkAssignServersToGroup - device keys
                  Bill Robinson

you are not passing in the server list as an actual java list type.  you're passing it as a string.  there is currently no way to build a list object from scratch in the blcli. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful