1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 8:18 AM by Bill Robinson

Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Hi,

I have a current scenario for upgrading BBSA v7.6 to v8.1 / v8.2. Just want to get some tips / challances which i would face / come across.

I have a running TEST  / PROD BBSA v 7.6 on Linux with Oracle 10g + Shared NSA , which is running 200 Jobs / pkgs.

1. Should I upgrade this to v 8.1 or v 8.2 ? Which one is better and why? As i have one more TEST env is running currently with v8.0 and working fine.

2. I want to use patching with the new v 8.1 / v8.2. Will it come with my upgrade without issue? As per my knowledge BMC added Patch Catalog Features to v 8.2 instead of VPC. Then what will happen to my existing VPC in v 7.6 and other patch Jobs in v 7.6?

3. I am using Provisioning  system in v 7.6. Is my upgrade going to effect anything to this or it will come as it is? As in new system only once console is going to take care of Provision as well.

4. I am using my Compliance Job in v 7.6. Is there anything new to this or can simple get it in v 8.1 / v8.2

Kindly let me know if any other thing i need to take care for this upgrade..

Thanks in Advance.

-Raj

• 1. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Here are some inputs from my side:

Should I upgrade this to v 8.1 or v 8.2 ? Which one is better and why? As i have one more TEST env is running currently with v8.0 and working fine.

8.2 is the latest available release, obviously if you think of functionality, the latest release is always better than before. But do  you want to be at the latest release which is all new and *may* have some problems which are yet to be discovered  by use.  Depends on you , look at the release notes of each release and the functionality offer and known issues to decide

I want to use patching with the new v 8.1 / v8.2. Will it come with my upgrade without issue? As per my knowledge BMC added Patch Catalog Features to v 8.2 instead of VPC. Then what will happen to my existing VPC in v 7.6 and other patch Jobs in v 7.6?

VPC was a script based patching solutin which was replaced for Solaris, Windows, Redhat patching by the new Catalog based patching in 8.0. Now 8.2 offers AIX, SLES and OEL patching as well. You will be able to use your old 7.6 repositories ( downloaded patches and metadata) which can be converetd to 8.x catalog compatible format using the offline downloader utiltiies. The existing jobs of VPC are basically NSH script based jobs, which can be migrated to 8.x using data migration, but cannot/should not be  used to do patch functioanlity. However, you will be able to look at them for analysis options like inlcude/exclude list etc and map these to the new patching fucntionality. The new functionality is based on similar fundamentals but provide a more scalable and managebale interface to the user.

I am using Provisioning  system in v 7.6. Is my upgrade going to effect anything to this or it will come as it is? As in new system only once console is going to take care of Provision as well.

You will be able to upgrade the provisioning infratructure as well. Look at the installation guide and follow the instructions in the upgrade steps, there are specific steps for Provisioning system as well.

I am using my Compliance Job in v 7.6. Is there anything new to this or can simple get it in v 8.1 / v8.2

You will be able to migrate compliance jobs and related items to 8.x . The installation guide has detailed steps about the same, this is done using the postmigration utility.

Other things:

Go though the installation guide, migration steps in details and do follow the proper sequence suggested. Follow proper backup stratgey to do a failover to previous version if anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Rohit

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2
            Joe Piotrowski

Just saw a demo of the new features in BBSA 8.2, here is a summary of them from my personal notes and the PP presentation:

RSCD Agents will come pre-licensed, you no longer need to license them in any way. You no longer need a licensing portal or Internet access. Supposedly nothing will cause the agent to lose its license (changing hostname, IP address, number of processors, etc)

Improvements to patching: filtering and patching results

Jobs are no longer tied to provisioning snapshots: you no longer need to create a new job if the provisioning configuration changes

The RSCD 8.2 Agent installer has been completely redone. Under custom options you have buttons to configure the secure, exports and users.local files on the fly. The security files will get installed in the following locations by default; Windows = C:\windows\rsc, Linux = /etc/rsc. I think the Linux installer will create a soft link from the old /usr/lib/rsc folder to the new /etc/rsc location. I think you can also specify the security folder location during the install.

New Features / Quality Improvements
            Improved AIX Patching Solution
            Online mode for AIX
            Solaris LDOM patching
            Catalog Updates are more robust
            Online mode patch management  for SUSE Linux
            Enhanced view of Patching Job status
            Enhanced email notifications
            New smart group properties
            QNumber based patch analysis for windows

New Platform Support
            AIX 7.1
            Windows 7
            SUSE Enterprise Linux 11 zSeries

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Thanks for the all the suggestions: Few more queries:

1. If i install fresh v 8.1 / v8.2 , Is there any possibility to get the old system as it is ? I mean v 7.6 all Jobs / pkgs and other stuff in the new environment? Like any export / import or by any other method?

2. If first option is not valid , then i have only 1 TEST evn for upgrade , should i test with the v8.0 first or v 8.1 as you told v8.2 recently released.

3. Can you please give me some more details on the compliance jobs and features , i mean i want to setup maximum Jobs for my environment. Does it come only with component / components template or does it come as separate tool as well for BBSA?

Thanks for your all help

-Raj

• 4. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2
                Joe Piotrowski

To the best of my knowledge you cannot do an export/import from 7.6 to 8.1 or 8.2. You must do an upgrade migration from 7.6 to 8.0 to 8.1 etc.

I have not personally used BBSA 7.6 and I have not upgraded to BBSA 8.2 yet so I cannot comment on your other questions.

• 5. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Thanks Joe for your suggestion,

Rohit any thoughts from your side?

• 6. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

1. Import/Export from 7.6 to 8.x will not work.

2. You   need to decide which version to go for, there is no point going to version 8.0 first and then 8.1 or 8.2

The database migration hanldes this automatically. I will suggest going for 8.2, if you have time and environment for Test, but it should be your decision. What  you want !

3. I didnt understand your question completely ?

Compliance content is provided out of the box for standards like CIS etc. You can use that as a baseline and then create compliance for your requirements. I will recommend go thouugh the user guide and then look at out of box compliance.  And You should get existing jobs migrated using the data migration utility

Thanks,

Rohit

• 7. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Thanks for your all help and support.

My last question is related to Compliance Features , as i have only few Jobs to check some security / standard for my servers , but i  want to enhance this facility via Bladelogic. Is there any ready made jobs or settings available for that one, as sometime my manager asks me to research on the compliance Features :)

You and this Bladelogic community become Bhagwan for me till now

• 8. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Thats what I told you :

There is a Compliance content installer shipped with BladeLogic which provides you ready made COmponent templates based on different standrds like CIS.

Once you install this content, it will create component templates in BladeLogic for you

Based on that, you can modify/enhance or learn the compliance features.

Read the UserGuide atleast once !! , It will help you , its not that bad !

Thanks,

Rohit

• 9. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Ok , thanks but i read user guide but did not find where is compliance content installer? Could you plz give me the page number if you do not mind

• 10. Re: Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2
                            Bill Robinson

It’s on the EPD, and I believe there are separate docs for it.

• 11. Re: Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2
                              Joe Piotrowski

You will see downloads available on the EPD. For Windows 8.1.02 go to:

BMC BladeLogic Server Automation - Compliance Module 8.1.02

You want to download:

"BBSA 8.1.00 SP2 Server Automation Compliance Content for Windows" and

"BBSA 8.1.00 SP2 Server Automation Compliance Content Technical Bulletin"

• 12. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Thanks for all the help. I will check and get back if i find any issue.

• 13. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2

Joe, that was  a great piece of information. I would like to know in case the agent loses its license after change in CPU etc, how do you license it again? Does autolic come in picture then?

-Prabhat

• 14. Want to know few tips on upgrading BBSA 7.6 to BBSA v8.1 / v8.2
                                    Joe Piotrowski

Yes, you will have to relicense the agent with autolic or getlic/putlic. I've seen some customers instead decommission the server, then re-add it into BL and have it auto license upon add. But this is a bad practice because any history of that server will be lost and unknown on the newly added server. BL uses unique IDs internally, not the host name.

For example, let's say you add a server called "server1" and you run jobs against it for several months; patching, compliance, etc. If you decommission "server1" and then immediately readd it as "server1" into BL, all that history won't be tied to that server because BL is pointing that history to a unique ID, not the name of the server.

1 2 Previous Next