8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 4:31 AM by Bob Bailey

Automatic Provisioning

Bob Bailey

I need help in finding a detailed step by step (doc or video) of how to automate the entire process of provisioning.  All of the documentation I read is requiring user intervention when the MAC address shows up as "discovered" in the "devices" group.  At this point I keep reading where the user must create a Provision job.  I would like for a target server to boot up and become fully provisioned without any need for user intervention.

Thanks.

• 1. Automatic Provisioning
          Bill Robinson

The provisioning job lets you define the OS, IP, Hostname, etc to set on the system.  How else do you envision assigning the server specific settings?

you can kick this job off w/ a blcli command, but you will need to use the mac. 

can you elaborate on the use case here?

• 2. Re: Automatic Provisioning

You could write an NSH script that regularly polls BSA for devices, then crates a provisioning job against them. You could configure your System Package to use an auto-generated hostname and DHCP. That wouldn’t be very hard.

• 3. Automatic Provisioning
              Bob Bailey

Thanks Bill, to be honest, I'm getting pretty confused on this subject.  What I was hoping a user could do was load a file into the database (not sure how) at the very beginning and this file would simply identify each MAC address expected to boot along with it's associated OS type, boot image, system package, provisioning details, etc.  Then when the system booted up, the PXE server would check the database for this information and would know what boot image to be used and a few steps later the same thing would happen for the application server (provisioning server) in that it would check with the database and know what system package, etc. to use.  As a user, I would be able to turn a machine on and then after a while I would see a fully provisioned machine with config settings, SW added, etc and the machine would be listed in the all servers group.  The only way I know to provision a server now is to wait for a server to show up in the "devices" group in the console and then manually kick off a provisioning job that would identify these as the target(s).  This is a very simple example but I was thinking the file to be loaded into the database would have columns similar to the following: 

MAC ADDRESS, BOOT IMAGE, SYSTEM PACKAGE, PROVISIONING JOB (config settings, SW installed, etc)

The only other way I can think of is possibly creating a provisioning job with these MAC addresses already listed as targets and then at some point the provisioning job kicks off when the MAC is discovered in the "devices" group.

Does this help or am I way off base?

thanks,

Bob

• 4. Re: Automatic Provisioning
                Bob Bailey

Thanks Adam, that sounds like that would work.  Scripting is not my strong suite but that sure sounds logical.  I need to look into this more.  Thanks again for the insight.

Bob

• 5. Re: Automatic Provisioning
                  Bill Robinson

What adam suggests would work. who is going to own that data in the spreadsheet ?  what is the workflow here ?  what is the overall use case?

• 6. Re: Automatic Provisioning
                    Bob Bailey

Thanks Bill.  Good questions you raise and I'm not sure I can answer the spreadsheet one.  The workflow question is actually what my question was aiming at...I must have not asked it clearly enough.  As for the overall use case, I was just wanting to get the step by step procedure of how a user could automate the provisioning process  without having to intervene.  I've found some good information lately in some of the docs so I think I've got a pretty good feel for all of the parts to this process.  I'll continue to study up on it.  Thanks again for you help..as always.

Bob

• 7. Re: Automatic Provisioning
                      Bill Robinson

If you are looking for a workflow like “give me a bunch of VMs” you may want to consider CLM – the user still has to request something, but they don’t have to know the MACs or even the hostnames.  They can click through some pre-selected menus and then they’ll get whatever they asked for.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Automatic Provisioning
                        Bob Bailey

Thanks Bill.  I was just thinking about the same thing late last night.  CLM sounds like that would be the best fit for a lot of customers if they were wanting to have a process like I was referring to.

Bob