6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 5:50 PM by Carey Walker RSS

Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class

Dineshkumar Kariappan

I have created a Relationship Class through Class Manager few months ago and its now available at Production with lots of valid Relationships created in BaseRelationship class. But now I noticed that the Lookup Keyword is having some running value like "OB223150450700TcQ_XAcdpFUArRsB". This I have to change it to a meaningful name similar to an Out of the Box Class ID.

I have changed the Lookup Keyword in "SHR:Schema Names" Form, but it doesn't help. Is there any other possibility of doing this?

Thanks,

Dinesh

• 1. Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class
    Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi Dinesh,

The value is sotred in OBJSTR:Class form. If you update it there it should automatically update the entry in Schema Names.

Regards,

Gustavo.

• 2. Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class
    Dineshkumar Kariappan

Hello Gustavo,

Following are the steps for Updating the Loopup Keyword or Class ID of Relationship Class:

Step 1: Change the Class id (179) and ClassID02 (301143000) value to the required value in Form OBJST:Class

Step 2: The Step 1 will create an New Record in the form SHR:SchemaNames

Step 3: Update the appropriate Proper Name for the New Record thats is created in Step2

Step 4: Delete the Old Record from the SHR:SchemaNames, which had old Lookup Keyword

Step 5: Try Creating a New Relatioship using this Class, check the Class Id in BMC.CORE:BMC_BaseRelationship. The New updated Lookup keyword should be available.

The above steps is working fine for the New Relationships that we are creating, but How do i handle for the already existing relationships in BaseRelationship class. They have the old Class ID and this field is not editable in the BMC.CORE:BMC_BaseRelationship as well.

Thanks,

Dinesh

• 3. Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class
    Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi Dinesh,

I think you will need to export the Relationship. Delete them and then re-import with the new correct value.

• 4. Re: Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class
    Carey Walker

Is the method above for changing the Lookup Keyword for custom classes a 'supported' process?? i.e. Do BMC document this anywhere or has BMC Support offered it as an officially approved technique?

We have a similar requirement (for CIs rather than relationships), but the above steps as Dinesh has noted, are fine if you have just created the new class and have no instances of CIs or relationships yet created. The new ones created after the keyword change seem to be OK, but trying to deal with existing ones is a challenge. Updating the class id for CIs has proven dangerous, it seems Gustavo's suggestion above is the safest bet - export the affected objects and import against the newly renamed class.

• 5. Re: Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class
    Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi CareyW.

Ideally we should correct or make sure the lookup keyword is correct before starting using the class.

In the event where the discovery was made after the class is already used, I believe the best solution is to:

1) Export the CIs

2) Make the modifications

3) Import the CIs

• 6. Re: Lookup Keyword Update for an already available Class
    Carey Walker

Thanks Gustavo. Based on some testing we did, your method above is definitely the safest approach.