5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 4:54 AM by Monoj Padhy

Changing BBSA Client Java Heap Size

Vinnie Lima

Editing large DISA STIG Component Template and the GUI is dumping error "java.lang.OutofMemoryError".  I thought this was documented somewhere but came up dry on searches, can someone let me know which CM cfg file I should edit and what entry to add?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Changing BBSA Client Java Heap Size
          Bill Robinson

8.x ? there’s a launcher.ini in the CM/rcp dir.

• 2. Re: Changing BBSA Client Java Heap Size

Its 8.1.02.262, the launcher.ini file contained the following:

-data

@noDefault

-showsplash

org.eclipse.platform

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize

256M

-vm

E:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\Operations Manager\NSH\jre\bin\javaw.exe

-vmargs

-Dosgi.parentClassloader=ext

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5

-Djava.library.path=E:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\Operations Manager\NSH/bin;E:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\Operations Manager\NSH/br/stdlib

-Dblx.cmrootdir=E:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\Operations Manager\NSH/br

-Dblx.cmlibdir=E:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\Operations Manager\CM/rcp/plugins/com.bladelogic.client.jars_1.0.0/lib

-Xms512m

-Xmx768m

-Dosgi.configuration.area=@user.home/Application Data/BladeLogic/8.1.02.262

Does anyone know what I should add and where to increase java heap size?

• 3. Re: Changing BBSA Client Java Heap Size
              Monoj Padhy

Go to bladelogic console-> configuration manager->infrastructure management->select the application server ->right click and choose edit option->specify the max heap size.

Hope you got your answer

• 4. Re: Changing BBSA Client Java Heap Size
                Paul Seager-Smith

That will change the Java heap size for the CONFIG or JOB servers in the application server. I think the others are asking about changing the console heap size.

The launcher.ini that Nicholas shows is the right place for this.

The two properties in here for the heap size are -Xms and -Xmx.

-Xms sets the minimum heap size that the JVM starts with and -Xmx defines the maximum heap size. For this type of issue, you need to increase the -Xmx value (settting it to 1024m should be plenty here).

In general you should also make sure that Xms and Xmx are not too far apart as the Java garbage collection will otherwise be pretty aggresive and slow things down when it runs. However, leaving Xms at 215m should be fine for this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Changing BBSA Client Java Heap Size
                  Monoj Padhy

Thanks for correcting me. Could you please tell me the significance of other entries in the launcher file?

-data

@noDefault

-showsplash

org.eclipse.platform

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize

256M

-vm

C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\NSH\jre\bin\javaw.exe

-vmargs

-Dosgi.parentClassloader=ext

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5

-Djava.library.path=C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\NSH/bin;C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\NSH/br/stdlib

-Dblx.cmrootdir=C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\NSH/br

-Dblx.cmlibdir=C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\CM/rcp/plugins/com.bladelogic.client.jars_1.0.0/lib

-Xms512m

-Xmx768m

-Dosgi.configuration.area=@user.home/Application Data/BladeLogic/8.1.02.233