5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 9:16 AM by Bill Robinson

Provisioning of Windows 2008 fails to update the registry settings

Hi

I have BBSA 8.1 provisioning Windows 2008 without issues on several servers, but there's one that is failing with the error shown on the image.

registry.PNG

The installation runs fine and after the first reboot that image is shown.  The same package and boot images are used on another servers that finish the installation succesfully, as mentioned.  I don't want to blame it so easily on hardware problems since the ILOM doesn't show alarms and there has been succesfull Linux installations on the same server.

I believe the remote resource where the installation files are is not being mounted after the reboot, but why?

Thanks if you have any idea about what could be wrong.

Regards...

• 1. Provisioning of Windows 2008 fails to update the registry settings
          Bill Robinson

what remote resource are you talking about?

the prov process is like this:

- server boots to winpe

- windows install kicks off, copies files over to target

- target reboots, boots of the local disk and uses the files windows setup copied over to boot.

- windows install continues/completes

so at what point does your error happen?  after you've seen the windows install gui run after the winpe boot?

is there anything different about this hardware?  network location, nic ?

• 2. Provisioning of Windows 2008 fails to update the registry settings

The error happens after the Windows Install GUI. After the GUI, the machine reboots and gives this error. On successful installations what happens at this stage is a black screen with a message in white letters that says something about registry settings being updated. That is what is failing.

So the machine doesn't connect again to the shared resource? It is reading from the local hard drive? Then it might be problems with the hardware after all. Still it is strange that if I provision Linux or Solaris, the installation doesn't fail.

• 3. Provisioning of Windows 2008 fails to update the registry settings
              Bill Robinson

once the machine reboots it should not need to talk to the share until after the os is laid down - at that point it copies the agent installer over and runs that.

i've never seen it update any registry info after the reboot - i see it reboot, come up w/ a black screen w/ the windows logo and then go into the gui install.  though that's mostly from watching VMs, not real hardware.

do you have all the correct hardware drivers defined in the system package for this server?

• 4. Provisioning of Windows 2008 fails to update the registry settings

I haven't checked the drivers. I have a set of 60 identical servers, the tests have been done on aprox 10 of them without issues. In fact this server was provisioned many times before with Windows, Linux and Solaris as this was the server assigned to me as test server for the implementation. The error is recent.

The task, the system package and the configuration all have been checked. I think that if it works on many other servers it should work on this one and that the error is related to hardware. I posted here to check if there was any other explanations.

One thing I did after the original post was interrupt the installation and run diskpart. I deleted the partitions by running the commands from the command line and tried reprovisioning with Windows and it worked. But repeating the provisioning process immediately afterwards (without the manual deletion of the partitions) failed again

• 5. Re: Provisioning of Windows 2008 fails to update the registry settings
                  Bill Robinson

What is in the provisioning history of the device for one of the failed runs?  Can you export that and attach it ?