2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 3:41 PM by Ryan Koziel

CT for multiple instances of same app on target machines...

Ryan Koziel

We have an application that allows side-by-side installations by using different product & upgrade codes for each release. On some machines, we have 11.2 and 12.1 releases coexisting and showing a unique entry in add/remove programs:

Name                                                                                      Version

ProductManagement 11.2                     11.2.154

ProductManagement 12.1                     12.1.167

My goal is to discover each installation as above and manage each independently (uninstalls, deploy, audit & compliance). With that being said:

I create a component template with a Part being a windows application list and an include on "*ProductManagement*". This CT has basically all allowed operations enabled, except allow auto-remdiation. Created and ran a discovery using this CT against a machine that has both apps insalled discovers both components separately as I wanted, however machines that do not have any of the "ProductManagement" applications installed also show a component with just the applications list I selected as the Part in the CT, no apps. Probably due to there being no signature defined (?).

I wanted to only disover machines with that app(s) installed, so I used the Discover tab to create a Basic Condition Rule, but my part isn't available under New Configuration Object and I am not able to select the application list when I browse to a machine (I am able to select a specific installation under that list however). I instead created a Rule where "Windows Application:/".Name contains "ProductMangement". When I run the discovery job now, I get the following in the log from the job run:

Info          Dec 27, 2011 1:53:57 PM          Signature condition

("Windows Application:/".Name contains "ProductManagement" [[ "Windows Application:/" does not exist  ]]

) failed

It appears that I can create a component template for each version, however I would rather not have to go that route. Would anyone have some suggestions on how to handle such a situation or possibly shed some light on the error from the rule?

We are using BBSA and the target machine is windows server 2008 r2.

Thanks in advance,