10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 9:05 PM by Santosh Pande

BBSA and WAN deployment

If a client has deployment BBSA core deployed in Country A and want to deploy patches to target servers in Country B over a WAN circuit, can they:

a. Only deploy Advance file server only to store the patches in Country B and use the jobs from BBSA core application server in Country A

Or

We need to deploy (Advance) Repeater with File server in Country B

b. Can the Advance Repeater/ File server in Country B be on a different OS (Windows) than the BBSA Core deployed in country A (Solaris)

Also on a server (OS) that has BBSA Repeater installed can also have Bladelogic Database Automation (BDA) Application/ Repeater role installed?

• 1. BBSA and WAN deployment

Rahul - a couple notes:

• File Servers (either advanced or the regular kind) should always be located central to your BSA infrastructure, no matter where you are deploying to.  If you are deploying content to a remote location, you probably want to use a repeater in that remote location.
          • Right now Advanced Repeaters are not recommended in 8.1 due to a known issue.  I believe there was a Support alert about this which you can see on the Support site.  Regular repeaters should only be used right now until 8.2 is released.

As for Solaris patching, I don't think it matters what OS your repeater is.  Have a look at the requirements in the documentation to verify, I might be wrong.

I'm not sure if if BDA will cause any conflicts.  I would compare the required ports for BDA to see if they conflict with BSA.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. BBSA and WAN deployment
            Bill Robinson

Additionally, patch payloads cannot be replicated by the ARS becasue they do not live on the file server, so only the regular NSH repeater will be used.

another option would be to mirror the central catalogs to each site w/ a file deploy job or rsync.  then specify the 'agent mount' payload url type w/ a parameterized path for the payload url in the catalogs.  then each target will mount the local payload source during deploy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment
              Paul Seager-Smith

The problem with patch deployments not using the ARS was apparently fixed in 8.1, but I have not validated this due to the recommendation not to use the ARS until 8.2.

As soon is 8.2 is out, I will try to validate this.

BTW, there is no problem running a repeater (advanced or otherwise) on a different platform to the App Server.

• 4. BBSA and WAN deployment

Hi Paul,

Do  you know how this is supported in 8.1 as the patch payload is not on the fileserver, does it require ARS to be installed on the machines that host the patch payloads, the repository servers ?

Or it will work with  the normal agent running on those machines ?

Thanks,

Rohit

• 5. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment
                  Bill Robinson

Patches will not go through the AFS/ARS period.

• 6. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment
                    Christopher Dale

Bill Robinson wrote:

Additionally, patch payloads cannot be replicated by the ARS becasue they do not live on the file server, so only the regular NSH repeater will be used.

another option would be to mirror the central catalogs to each site w/ a file deploy job or rsync.  then specify the 'agent mount' payload url type w/ a parameterized path for the payload url in the catalogs.  then each target will mount the local payload source during deploy.

is there documentation on how to "specify the 'agent mount' payload url type w/ a parameterized path for the payload url" 

Also is there plans to leverage the Advanced repeater infrastructure in future versions.... Patching is a great usecase for the "Marimba" replacation engine.

Chris

• 7. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment
                      Steffen Kreis

Hi,

as a start you may want to look at

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bsa82/URL+syntax+for+network+data+transmission

For Patching you have to use the smb protocol, as the documents points out.

Ideally you should create a custom property class, which contains all the required paramateres for the syntax as a property.

Then you should create several instances of your property class, which reflect each of your location, and the depots which should be used in each one.

At the end, create a custom property on the Server object of the Type "Property class", pointing to your newly created Property class. (Example: LOCATION)

On a server you can then set for Example: ??TARGET.LOCATION?? to the location your server is in.

In the Agent Mount network syntax on the catalog you should then use something like:

smb://??TARGET.LOCATION.DOMAIN??;??TARGET.LOCATION.USER??:??TARGET.LOCATION.PASSWORD??@??TARGET.LOCATION.SERVER??/??TARGET.LOCATION.PATH??

Using that mechanism you can control with a single property on the server level, where patches are coming from.

NOTE: You need to make sure yourself, that the patch-payload exists in each of those depots.

This can be achived by using a "File Deploy Job" from BL.

Regards

Steffen

• 8. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment
                        Bill Robinson

if the patches are windows you need to use the smb protocol (windows share).  for unix patches you need to use nfs.  i agree that the ARS would be ideal for mirroring the patches.  you'd need to talk to a product manager about future direction of the product.  feel free to have support open up a rfe for this w/ a description of your use case.

• 9. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment

Hi Steffen, Bill,

Sorry to Jump on this thread.

I am setting up Patch repository with option "Agent Mounts Source for Direct Use At Deployment"

As explained by you I created a custom property class "PATCH_LOCATION" and I have properties for USER_NAME, REPOSITORY, MOUNT, PASSWORD server under this class and set values for the in each instance. I created couple of Instance, one for each location where I have a patch repository.

I created a custom property (PATCH_REPO) on the Server object of the Type "Property class", pointing to newly created Property class (PATCH_LOCATION).

And on server I have set the PATCH_REPO location to one of the instances I have created (??TARGET.LOCATION?? to the location of the server\Patch Repo)

I created the Patch catalog and the URL in Catalog is  (smb://??TARGET.PATCH_REPO.USER_NAME??:??TARGET.PATCH_REPO.PASSWORD??@??TARGET.PATCH_REPO.REPOSITORY??/??TARGET.PATCH_REPO.MOUNT??)

when I run Patch Analysis I can see patches missing on server. But When I try to deploy the missing patches the deploy fail and in bldeploy log I can see (I think this is the reason for the deploy job to fail.)

bldeploy - Could not find a parameter match to TARGET.PATCH_REPO.USER_NAME. Parameter value will be defaulted to a blank string

bldeploy - Could not find a parameter match to TARGET.PATCH_REPO.REPOSITORY. Parameter value will be defaulted to a blank string

bldeploy - Could not find a parameter match to TARGET.PATCH_REPO.MOUNT. Parameter value will be defaulted to a blank string

Using URL smb://@localhost

The value is not being passed to the Parameter, not sure how to fix this. I have set the values for each property (USER_NAME, REPOSITORY, MOUNT, PASSWORD) in Custom property class.

When I check the INSTALLABE_SOURCE* property on each hotfix it shows as below

instsource.png

Any guidance or help will be appreciated to fix this.

Regards

Santosh

Regards

• 10. Re: BBSA and WAN deployment

Hi,

I got this fixed.

The problem was with My Patching role, as it didnt had rights\permission on Custom Property class.

Regards

Santosh