1 of 1 people found this helpful
All the information I have suggests that switching from CAB to XML is the correct solution (This is newly recommended configuration in the 8.1SP3 Release Notes)
However, there is another possible solution, related to DLL registration.
If the DLL's are not registered correctly, then the program will not run successfully.
The following instructions can be used to manually register the DLL's required.
If they were not previously registered correctly, this will solve that problem.
If they were already registered correctly, then this will not make anything worse, but will eliminate the DLL registration as a possible cause of the problem.
You can try to troubleshoot further by manually executing the BlPatchCheck2.exe
BLPatchCheck2.exe 0 -p hfnetchk6b.cab results.xml
BLPatchCheck2.exe 0 -p hfnetchk6b.xml results.xml
This troubleshooting may be further assisted by having the sysinternals (Microsoft) Process Monitor tool collecting data while BlPatchCheck2 is executed
There is a kb article on the BMC site for this error too: https://kb.bmc.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=KA309015&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1323750548437
Running a Windows patch analysis job using BladeLogic Server Automation fails with the following error:
Error: 80004005 Unable to load the XML at '[RSCD_DIR]/tmp/HFNetChk6bXXXX/HFNetChk6b.cab'
The issue most probably occurred because the XML could not be extracted from the CAB file which was passed to the analysis scan
Here are some solutions that have solved this issue in the past. First there are solutions for the Windows target server:
1. Feed XML file to the scan engine rather than CAB file to bypass extraction:
- For 7.5 and 7.6 agents, go to Tools / Patch Analysis Configuration / Shavlik URLs, and modify HFNetChk6b and PD5 links to point to: http://xml.shavlik.com/data/hfnetchk6b.xml and http://xml.shavlik.com/data/pd5.xml
- For 7.4.x agents, leave the Shavlik URLs pointing to CAB files and install special agent 7.4.5-r798 from:ftp.bmc.com/pub/dblando/745-r798/\tmp\application_server"
Hope this helps.
Changing ".cab" to ".xml" in the Patch Global Configuration -> Shavlik URL Configuration works, although we noticed that our URLs kept reverting back to ".cab". It turns out that there is a separate save button within the configuration window that we weren't clicking. So make sure you click that before closing the window.
We got this same error and changing the file from .cab to .xml worked for us as well. We also had to run an Update Patch Catalog for the correct XML files to get created.
Thanks. The DLL registration steps worked out.
I was getting the following error : STDERR: Error: 80004005 Assessment file is missing or unable to download or decab
In the patch global config the shavlik url's were pointing at the URL's with .cab extension which I changed to .xml and followed the steps for DLL registration in the client which was failing in the patch analysis. Analysis worked perfectly fine.
I have the same error on a BL 8.2 running a patch analysis on win2k3 server.
The error is not fixed even changing the .cab to .xml in patch config panel and reregistering the suggested .dll on the target.
The same error is when I click on hotfixes in the server browse.
In summary, some Windows servers have trouble extracting the CAB files supplied by Shavlik. If this is your issue, you might need to take the following steps:
- Change the Shavlik files you download from CAB format to XML
- Verify the above change took place because the Save icon is in a different location
- Re-run an Update Patch Catalog job and Patch Analysis job
- Go to the file server (.../storage/patch/catalog/catalog_xxxxx) and extract the XML file from the existing CAB files, then delete the CAB files