12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2013 5:30 AM by Maxim Baturlov

AR System Historical License Usage

Share This:

Hi,

I am collecting license usage information using AR System Historical License Usage form. I have few doubts regarding few records in this form.

e.g

License TypeTime  AcquiredTime Released Total Use TimeUser Name
      Float12/6/2011 10:5312/6/2011 17:3624158XYZ
      Float12/6/2011 14:2712/6/2011 17:3611320XYZ
      Float12/6/2011 16:0212/6/2011 17:365598XYZ

The same user is having above entries. Time Acquired is changing but Time Released remains same.

Please help me to understand the meaning of multiple Time Acquired entries with same release time.

Thanks in Advance!

Anirudha D

• 1. AR System Historical License Usage

Is it possible that the user obtained floating user licenses for different applications - and then logged out, thus releasing those application floating user licenses all at the same time?

Have you spoken with the user that caused these entries?  What were they doing at the time listed?  Were they using the application consistently between the acquired times or are they a sporadic user?

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter

Product Line Manager
          Remedy Platform
          BMC Software, Inc.

• 2. AR System Historical License Usage

Hi David,

The Historical License Usage form is showing only license usage for 'AR Server' application and not for other ITSM applications (Should it display all the ITSM applications as well? If yes, do we have to apply any addtional setttings?).

When users login to remedy, his license is not consumed immediately, but if he click on any of the application link (Request entry/IM/PM etc.), the Time acquired entry update with that time.

Below are my few test using account for one dummy user.

• Logged in at 13.26 on 8th December and opened application from ITSM. Initially no entry in historical form. (1st entry in below table)
            • Kept ideal for 10 mins and directly closed AR User Tool. No entry in historical form.
            • Again logon 16.07 and opened application, logged out properly by clicking log out at 16:37. (Appeared two entries in historical form) (1st and 2nd)
            • For last entry, logged in properly, logged out properly.

License TypeTime  AcquiredTime Released Total Use TimeUser Name
            Float12/8/2011 13:2712/8/2011 16:3711384Dummy
            Float12/8/2011 16:0812/8/2011 16:371736Dummy
            Float12/8/2011 16:5312/8/2011 16:59325Dummy
            Float12/8/2011 18:3912/8/2011 18:4013Dummy

Still I am unable to find why it has taken 16:37 for first entry as Time released?

Because of the above situation, the total license usage count for perticular user is calculated incorrectly.

• 3. AR System Historical License Usage

> When users login to remedy, his license is not consumed immediately, but if he click on any

> of the application link (Request entry/IM/PM etc.), the Time acquired entry update with that time.

That is correct behavior - the write license is not consumed until a submit, modify or search is done.  So that is absolutely the expected behavior.  The Historic License Usage form only tracks write licenses, not read licenses.

There was a bug in the Historical License Usage functionality that caused the application licenses not to be displayed properly when first introduced.  If you're not on AR System 7.6.04, you may wish to consider upgrading to AR System 7.6.04 SP2 and see if the issue still continues.

Thanks,

-----------

David J. Easter

Product Line Manager
              Remedy Platform
              BMC Software, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. AR System Historical License Usage

Thanks for the valuable information!

Anirudha D

• 5. Re: AR System Historical License Usage

Hello team,

Where can I find information about how licenses are consumed?? There is a document that specifies this?

Regards

Joel Rosete

Enviado a través de BlackBerry de movistar

• 6. Re: AR System Historical License Usage

For AR System, information about licenses can be found in the Concepts Guide and Confiuration Guide.

Thanks,

----------------

David J. Easter

Product Line Manager
                    Remedy Platform
                    BMC Software, Inc.

• 7. Re: AR System Historical License Usage
                      Maxim Baturlov

The Historic License Usage form only tracks write licenses, not read licenses.

David, would you please clarify this. Documentation says that "Type of license (fixed, floating, and so on)" would be monitored. This is a typo?

-------------------------

Fields in AR System Historical License Usage form

FieldDescription
                      User NameName of the user who acquired and released the license
                      Group IDID of the pool that the license belongs to. Applies only to floating licenses
                      Application NameApplication that the license applies to
                      License TypeType of license (fixed, floating, and so on)
                      Time AcquiredTime that the user acquired the license
                      Time ReleasedTime that the user released the license
                      Total Use TimeThe total amount of time in seconds that the license was in use
                      • 8. Re: AR System Historical License Usage

It's not necessarily a typo, but "and so on" does not include read licenses.

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter
                        Product Line Manager, AR System

BSM & Atrium Solutions Mgmt
                        BMC Software, Inc.

• 9. Re: AR System Historical License Usage
                          LJ LongWing

MBaturlov,

I asked that question of David some years ago when the feature was introduced (7.5 if I remember correctly).  In later revisions of Remedy 7.6.04 at least, you have the option to record read licenses as well. 

• 10. Re: AR System Historical License Usage

I've deleted previous responses to this so that the info is cleaned up for future searches, but here's the definitive answer.  I sat down with an engineer and we walked through the code itself and confirmed that read licenses are not tracked in the Historical License Usage form. 

This is because technically, there is no "trigger" for activating a read license like there is for fixed and floating.  The user's login time is tracked in the user log and that is how some of our partners tease out the information - but the code for the Historical License Usage feature does not do this.

So I apologize for the back and forth of information about this.  It is not a defect that it does not currently show information about read licenses - it is as implemented.

To clarify the options, selecting "Write Licenses" as the option will only collect information about AR System write licenses (fixed and floating).  "All Licenses" will collect information about application user licenses as well.  So the "All" is referring to collecting both AR and application user licenses.

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter
                            Product Line Manager, AR System

BSM & Atrium Solutions Mgmt
                            BMC Software, Inc.

• 11. Re: AR System Historical License Usage
                              LJ LongWing

That's weird...I could have sworn that I had license tracking of Ready licenses in that form at one point...

• 12. Re: AR System Historical License Usage
                                Maxim Baturlov

David, thank you for clear and comprehensive answer! We will use user log then to get Read license usage.

Best Regards,

Maxim Baturlov