9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 2:37 AM by raj@bmc RSS

How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8

raj@bmc

Hi,

I want to install mod_ssl rpm for Linux system , but i have a doubt , when i run rpm install command in one of the test server it shows me some dependent rpms are missing. Please let me know how to resolve this dependencies issue while creating RPM / Software Deploy Job in BBSA v8.0.11.1111.

rpm -ivh mod_ssl-2.2.3-53.el5_7.1.x86_64.rpm

warning: mod_ssl-2.2.3-53.el5_7.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 37017186

error: Failed dependencies:

httpd = 0:2.2.3-53.el5_7.1 is needed by mod_ssl-2.2.3-53.el5_7.1.x86_64

libdistcache.so.1()(64bit) is needed by mod_ssl-2.2.3-53.el5_7.1.x86_64

libnal.so.1()(64bit) is needed by mod_ssl-2.2.3-53.el5_7.1.x86_64

openssl >= 0.9.8e-12.el5_4.4 is needed by mod_ssl-2.2.3-53.el5_7.1.x86_64

-Raj

• 1. How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    Rohit Nayyar

You should create a RPM Group in a blpackage, add all dependencies and the main rpm in the group.

This will invoke the rpm -uiv command with list of all these rpms .

Try and let me know

Thanks,

ROhit

• 2. How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    raj@bmc

Thanks for the reply, i want to know , do i have to load the required RPMs in the depot via Depot -> New -> Software -> RPM ?

Once i add the required rpms then i created BLPackge and its RPM Group and after that i created one Deploy Job for Installation of BLPackage and getting the error messages again and again that some other rpms are missing and adding one by one

Could you please let me know how to resolve the missing rpms issue? Do i have to check the log every time for missing rpms? Or any other way to resolve the missing RPMs issue while running the RPM Deploy Job?

Let say for example for installing / upgrading httpd service in Linux it requires 10-14 rpms , but if i do not know which are those , then do i have to check the log only for installing / upgrading?

Please suggest.

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    Gerardo Bartoccini

RPMs should be installed in a specific order.

If RPM X is needed by RPM Y, you need to install RPM X first, then RPM Y.

• 4. How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    Rohit Nayyar

When you create an RPM group , the underlying command issues becomes

rpm -uiv <list of all rpms in the rpm group>

This lets the rpm command to automatically sequence dependencies for installation, But yes this needs all required dependencies to be in the list.

If you dont know all the dependencies at the time of package creation, than it is a problem

There are ways to do this:-

1. pre-fetch the information about rpm, use the rpm command line query options to get the list of dependencies and package all those.
    2. What I will do personally is to make my life easy
    • If its not a custom rpm, The best one and easiest one is to use something like YUM. For this you need to have your yum repository populated for a particualar Redhat/Suse distribution. This makes sure that the rpm you are trying to install is present in the repostory with all its dependencies.
    • This is supported by the Patch functionality of BladeLogic, I will use patch Analysis and put one rpm in the include list and will go for install mode, the analysis result will show the rpm as missing and will return other dependencies automatically, I will use the patch deploy job. Remember the install mode.

I am not sure if many of  the gurus will agree with me or not

Thanks,

Rohit

• 5. Re: How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    Adam Bowen

When using an rpm group, the RPM order does not matter as the rpm command sorts it all out. And the easiest way is to use YUM. Export your redhat patch repository via nfs and setup a yum repo to point to that nfs mount on your target server (Google it, if you don’t know how to do those two steps), then just install packages via YUM. YUM will autoresolve dependencies.

• 6. How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    raj@bmc

Thanks for all replies , i tried Rohit idea and worked for me

Thanks

-Raj

• 7. Re: How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    Bill Robinson

The easiest way to do this in BBSA is to create a patch catalog.  Then create Patching Job, on the 2nd or 3rd tab of the wizard you set the job to 'install mode' instead of update mode.  then you specify the package you want to install in the 'includes'.  run the paj, this will tell you what dependencies need to be installed.  when you run remediation all of the property deps will be pushed to the target.

the benefit of this is that you can push out httpd to a bunch of hosts, and if they all require different dependencies, the Patching Job will work that out.

• 8. Re: How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    Adam Bowen

Yeah, forgot all about that feature. That is the product's way of doing the manual steps I listed. That's handy.

• 9. How to install RPM with dependencies in BBSA v8
    raj@bmc

Thanks so much for all help.