In the Patching configuration you can change the files for Shavlik files from .cab files to .xml
I had this problem on 8.0 and just changing the file name from the .cab to .xml everything started working.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
In 8.1 SP4, changing ".cab" to ".xml" in the Patch Global Configuration -> Shavlik URL Configuration works, although we noticed that our URLs kept reverting back to ".cab". It turns out that there is a separate save button within the configuration window that we weren't clicking. So make sure you click that before closing the window.
We got this same error and changing the file from .cab to .xml worked for us as well. We also had to run an Update Patch Catalog for the correct XML files to get created.
There’s a kb article for this as well. Search for the error code and you can find it.