8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 7:34 AM by Bill Robinson

Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow

We have a custom server property that we are going to use to filter smart groups.

The property is a string enumeration and there are around 4,000 possible name/value pairs to load (they are Business Service Names from Remedy).

I've created a script which uses blcli performance commands to connect and then create each name/value pair.

Well it's taking what seems an inordinately long time to load each value (circa 5-10mins each).

How can I speed this up, or locate the bottleneck so the values will load faster?

This is the top few lines of the script:

blcli_setoption serviceProfileName production

blcli_setoption roleName BLAdmins

blcli_connect

blcli_execute PropertyClass addNewValuesToStringEnumProperty Class://SystemObject/Server TLS_ITAM_PRODUCT_NAME "\"1300 XMC\"" 17

blcli_execute PropertyClass addNewValuesToStringEnumProperty Class://SystemObject/Server TLS_ITAM_PRODUCT_NAME "\"1310 OMC-P\"" 18

blcli_execute PropertyClass addNewValuesToStringEnumProperty Class://SystemObject/Server TLS_ITAM_PRODUCT_NAME "\"1440 IGR Platform\"" 19

blcli_execute PropertyClass addNewValuesToStringEnumProperty Class://SystemObject/Server TLS_ITAM_PRODUCT_NAME "\"3G NodeB\"" 20

blcli_execute PropertyClass addNewValuesToStringEnumProperty Class://SystemObject/Server TLS_ITAM_PRODUCT_NAME "\"3G Repeater\"" 21

Any tips/advice appreciated.

I would like to load them all before next week

• 1. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow
          Daniel Tharby

4000!!!! that seems very excessive to be used as part of a Smart Group filtering list.

Based on the code snippet you provided, you are populating a property under the SERVER built in class.

This could be the cause of the slow down, probably due to the way that the SERVER class is used by all RSCD hosts.

Do you have automatic jobs like Update Server Properties running in the background ? I would suggest pausing that while you do this.

Cheers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow
            Bill Robinson

I would strongly advise you not to do this.  This will definately slow down your GUI to a crawl when browsing the Server workspace.  A customer I work with did something similar and had horrible GUI performance after adding a similar number of enumerated values.

You should instead create a custom property class w/ the enumerated properties that you want and then create a pointer property to this class in the SERVER PSC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow

Thanks for the replies Daniel and Bill.

Just so I understand this correctly the steps I need to follow:

1. Create a custom property class (eg. MYCORP_CLASS Underneath "Custom Properties" in the GUI)
              2. Then I need to create the EnumString type property underneath MYCORP_CLASS instead of under the builtin Server Class like I have already done
              3. Create a new Builtin Server Property which has a type of "PropertyClass" and refers to the MYCORP_CLASS
              4. Delete/Deprecate the old Builtin Property I was using

Is this what you recommend?

To Daniel, yes we do have 4,000+ Business Service names in our CMDB. They probably will not all be used to create smart groups, but we are adding them for completeness and so we don't have to go add them at odd times in the future.

• 4. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow
                Daniel Tharby

Hi Simon,

Bill's solution is a good way forward, however I think that a review of the required smart groups should be performed and then only the relevent entries added to the property.

Hope it all goes well

Dan

• 5. Re: Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow
                  Bill Robinson

Actually I think what you want to do is to also create instances in the MYCORP_CLASS w/ the value set to the property enumerated value as well.

However – are you trying to sync this w/ your cmdb system?  or what else do you need to use these properties for ?

• 6. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow

The property is being used for smart grouping and later will be used for report filtering through BDSSA.

There are minimum of 1,000 of the 4,000 total which we want to use for smart groups.

Syncing with CMDB (Remedy) would be great

• 7. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow

I thought I would update this thread to let you know what happened.

Tried creating the Custom Property Class and associated String Enum property OK

Tried loading values into the property and the first few loaded quickly then the pace rapidly slowed down until about an hour later after loading around 130 enums, I hit Ctrl-C and gave up.

What I have suggested is that we use the local string property CUSTOMER. This seemed to work well in my testing and should get around the difficulties of having to add new enums to a list (maintenance, anyone?)

It does mean that people are going to have to put quite stringent matching on their smart groups - but that is good practice anyway.

• 8. Adding name/value pairs to StringEnum Property very slow
                        Bill Robinson

what command are you using to load up the PSC properties w/ the enumerated values?