2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 8:22 AM by Jeff Schwartzkopf

Find VMware VM  attributes in a script

Jeff Schwartzkopf

From within an NSH script, I am trying to find the VMware datastore that is hosting a particular VM's primary Disk drive.   I can see this in the console by browsing vSphere server and inspecting.

"VMware vCenter Server/Virtual Machines/<server name>/Hardware/Disks/Hard disk 1/Disk File"

Anyone know how to access this bit of information from an NSH script?

blquery doesn't seem to have any documented virtualization functions.  I have also looked at the BLCLI "Virtualization" namespace, but nothing there seems to get down to this level of detail.

• 1. Find VMware VM  attributes in a script

I guess you should get this information by interacting directly with vmWare API.

• 2. Find VMware VM  attributes in a script
            Jeff Schwartzkopf

Yes, powerCLI seems to be the way to get the information.  However, I was trying to create a secondary disk that would be added to the VM post-provisioning.  The secondary disk would be sized based on user input ( CLM ). So this is what I did    

First I created a component template that contains "Hard Disk 1" and parameterized the path to referenece a local property.  Then the script went something like this...

1 - Identifiy the vCenter server hosting the VM in question

2 - Add local property instance to the component template

3 - Run a discovery on the component template

4 - Create a BLPackage from the newly discovered component

5 - Export the BLPackage

6 - Manipulate the bldeploy.xml file to change the Name of the disk and the VMDK file name

7 - import the bldeploy.xml file to a new BLPackage

8 - Deploy the new BLPackage to the vCenter server

This basically creates a secondary disk on the same VM Datastore that the original VM resides on.