4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 2:04 PM by Eyal NameToUpdate

Bulk Import Gui or Bat file

Is there a easier way to do a bulk import of property values. I have a 50 servers and need to bulk import 700 property values each CSV file. I do not want to update each CSV file  with the server names(100 files). I import thru the dos bat prompt.  Can i import property values from the gui by using a CSV file so i don't have to specify server names? Is there a way to do it from the bat file?

Format of CSV(1 value) there are 700

• 1. Bulk Import Gui or Bat file
          Matthieu Laurenceau

Hi Ken.

In order to better route your question, can you please explain what BMC Product you're talking about?

Regards, Matt

• 2. Bulk Import Gui or Bat file

We are using BMC BladeLogic Server Automation 8.1

• 3. Bulk Import Gui or Bat file
              Matthieu Laurenceau

Thanks Ken, moving this Discussion to the appropriate Community

• 4. Bulk Import Gui or Bat file

I'm assuming you use the Server->BulkSetServerProperty blcli command to load parameters from the *.csv file.

Have you looked into using Custom property classes?

(This is what we're doing here)

For example:

you can create a custom property class in the property dictionary, say SMTPServerProperties.

In this class you can create properties for ServerAddress, ServerPort, AuthenticationUser, Authentication Password.

Then you create instances for the custom property. say MyCompanySMTPServer, AnotherCompanySMTPServer.

You can populate the values using the blcli command PropertyInstance->bulkSetPropertyValues

The CSV file would look like this:

"Class://SystemObject/SMTPServerProperties/MyCompanySMTPServer", ServerAddress, smtp.company.com

In this manner, you organize your properties by category and not by server.

e.g. you have 5 smtp servers (5 property instances) with 4 properties each.

That's 1 *.CSV file with 20 lines.

Instead of 50 files with 4 lines each (50 X 4 = 200)

Better, right?

This approach is not good if you have parameters that are unique for each server.

but... after you categorize your properties as described above, you should not have many of these left.

For these parameters you can keep using the Server->BulkSetServerProperty command in a single *.CSV file with all the servers.