6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 2:55 PM by Bill Robinson

compliance Rule

I want to be able to check The C drive Capacity, memory size and number of cpu's using compliance rule. Can this be achieved?

• 1. compliance Rule
          Ofer Prat

Do you mean something like this?

I used "Hardware Information" and created rules that compare actual values to minimum requirements, for example:

"Hardware Information.Processor:/Hardware/Processors/CPU0"."Speed (in MHz)" > 1,000

check system.jpg

If this is not what you meant, pls explain some more.

• 2. compliance Rule

Hi Ofer

What I am trying to achieve is to check that 41 VM servers each have the same number of CPU's ie 1cpu, the same amount of memory ie 4GB, the same size c drive ie 40Gb.

When I tried to use hardware parts information ie

Hardware Information.Logical Storage device/Hardware/StorageDevices/LogicalStorageDevices/C:""Capacity (inKB)" equals      xxxxxxxxxxx

I kept getting the message that the part information could not give this information, however I changed the operator to "between" (xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxx) it then worked for both c drive capacity and memory size (ie by not specifying a precise size).

I have not yet found a way to check the number of CPU.s

Can you help with this?

• 3. compliance Rule

Ah solved it.

The problem was that the parts when entered was not being saved. After correcting this the rules all worked.

• 4. compliance Rule
                Ofer Prat

Great - good news. Do you still need help with number of CPUs?

• 5. compliance Rule
                  Ofer Prat

I have 2 suggestions for you:

1. Use rule-based compliance:

here is a rule that counts the number of CPUs, and compare it to 1, as you requested:

"Hardware Information.Processor:/Hardware/Processors/*" count equals 1

The rule is built of:

• asset type (Hardware Information.Processor)
                  • path + wild card that gets all the assets of that type in that path (/Hardware/Processors/*)
                  • Logical condition (count equals 1)

2. Audit based compliance

Since you want to check 41 identical VMs, why not keep one of them as a master (golden copy) and compare it to the others using the audit feature?

Hope this helps,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. compliance Rule
                    Bill Robinson

if you setup the bbsa virtualization management for the esx server(s) hosting these VMs, i believe you could also snapshot/audit/compliance the configurations from that side as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful