2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 7:34 AM by David NameToUpdate

Software installation blpackage fails during auto-remediation but works when run alone

I have a compliance package that checks for the existance of three software packages: Norman Anti-Virus, Tivoli Monitor Agent, and Tivoli Storage Manager Agent - all 64 bit versions - on Windows 2008 servers.

The compliance packages works fine - finds the missing software and attempts and install using tested software deployment blpackages.

Here is the problem - the Norman Anti-Virus and Tivoli Monitor Agent software installs quickly - but then the system seems to hang when installing the Tivoli Storage Manager Agent.

After the complicance job fails, I can run the Tivoli Storage Manger install BLPackage directly againt the server - and it works.

Since we are still in a test environment, I can blow away the server and start over.

Did that and ran the complicance job again - same thing - hangs at the Tivoli Storage Manager.

This time I rebooted the target server and ran the compliance job again - it saw that the first two apps were installed and skipped them (as it should)

then it did not hang this time - it out right failed.

I then ran the blpackage directly against the target server and it ran smoothly.

What is different about the install packages created during the compliance job that differs from the original install?

• 1. Software installation blpackage fails during auto-remediation but works when run alone
          Bill Robinson

there should be logs in the RSCD install dir on the target under Transactions/logs named like bldeploy-blah-blah.  look in there and see if you can find out why it failed, or look at the job run log in the GUI and see why it failed.

also when you say 'compliance job fails' do you mean that the complaince job failed a condition of a rule or that the job errored out in some way?

are you using any custom properties in the blpackage?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Software installation blpackage fails during auto-remediation but works when run alone

The compliance job did fail - but more accurately it was the installation of the one software deployment that failed.

Looking back over my set up, I found that of the three (3) BLPackages I created for software deployment, two (2) of them were "soft-linked" and one was not - the one that always failed.  I dug into the windows logs on the target server and found an error from the msi installer - a missing file.

I recreated that one BLPackage - and this time "soft-linked" it and re ran the compliance job -- and now it works.

So it appears the the soft-link is important for compliance jobs as not all of the installation package gets sent during auto-remediation.

Go figure.  Thanks anyway Bill - you are helpful as always.