4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 8:18 AM by Brandon Gillis

Issue with SLES 11 Provisioning: .bmilinux: No such file or Directory

Hi everyone.

We are running 8.1.0 and have configured provisioning in our environment. When we kick off our provisioning job on a SLES 11 server it runs as it should all the way through the OS install.

As soon as the OS is layed down it restarts the system and as we watch it boot up it repeatedly gives us the error message ".bmilinux: No such file or Directory" until it finally just skips over it and goes to a command prompt. We can then use the server but the Agent is never layed down and the provisioning job is still running on the App server (indicated by the Tasks in Progress in the console)

I have double checked and the bmilinux.tar file is in fact on our datastore in the root directory.

Has anyone run into this problem before or have any suggestions on a solution?

Just to elaborate, the error messages are these (in order):

/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S01S89Provscript: Line 9: /root/rscd.sh: No such file or directory

/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S01S89Provscript: Line 10: /user/lib/rsc/users: No such file or directory

insserv: warning: script 'S01S91Provscript' missing LSB tags and overrides

insserv: warning: script 'S91Provscript missing LSB tags and overrides

/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S01S91Provscript: line 6: ./bmilinux: No such file or directory

• 1. Issue with SLES 11 Provisioning: .bmilinux: No such file or Directory

To update the situation. We figured out the issue with the following errors:

/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S01S89Provscript: Line 9: /root/rscd.sh: No such file or directory

/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S01S89Provscript: Line 10: /user/lib/rsc/users: No such file or directory

The documentation specifies that the AgentInstalls directory should be on the root of the datastore, which is incorrect. The AgentInstalls directory should reside under the "Virtual Directory" which is specified in the data store configuration. Same goes for the bmilinux.tar file.

It proceeds to install the rscd agent but once it finishes we still get the following errors:

insserv: warning: script 'S01S91Provscript' missing LSB tags and overrides

insserv: warning: script 'S91Provscript missing LSB tags and overrides

It appears that it is now trying to make a call back to the Application Server using the correct ip address and port 9831. We tested and that port is indeed accessible and listening properly on the App Server from the network which is being used for provisioning. However, it informs us that is cannot connect and goes into a permanent loop trying to call back to the App server.

We believe the ethernet adapters may not be functioning correctly but cannot verify because the server is stuck in the callback loop. We specified eth0 in the system package and its the only NIC currently connected so I don't think it is trying to use the other NIC (there are two in the box)

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2. Issue with SLES 11 Provisioning: .bmilinux: No such file or Directory
            Bill Robinson

is wget installed on the target?

can you do a wget from the target to the datastore to pull the rscd.sh and bmilinux.tar.

is that Provscript till there?

wrt the location of the agent dirs the 'virtual dir' is the root of the ds, so if your datastore is like /opt/pxestore, your agents dir should be in /opt/pxestore/agents.

• 3. Re: Issue with SLES 11 Provisioning: .bmilinux: No such file or Directory

Check the following :-

Install.log - gives the installation information of OS install and post install steps.

http.log – the log gives you information about http requests made for getting agent installer, and additional files from the build server. This one is important and looks like nothing was downloaded from the datastore to the machine under provisioning.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Rohit

• 4. Re: Issue with SLES 11 Provisioning: .bmilinux: No such file or Directory

In reply to Bill:

is wget installed on the target? Yes

can you do a wget from the target to the datastore to pull the rscd.sh and bmilinux.tar. It is installing the agent now so I believe this is not a wget problem, please refer to my second post above.

is that Provscript till there? I am guessing you meant "still there?" and I really don't know because we can't use the target server due to it being in a permanent loop of Error: comm to provisioning server %app_server_ip on port 9831: network is unreachable

I believe we have successfully moved bmilinux to the server and it is attempting to call back to the app server but it cannot connect due to Network is unreachable error.

In reply to Rohit:

I will check the install.log

So far as http.log goes it appears we are successfully downloading everything to the target but it cannot make the bmi callback to the appserver.

Additional information:

As we watch it run on first boot after provisioning the OS is finished it appears to run a script that shuts down the eth0 NIC right before it attempts to make a call back to the app server and fails. Anyone seen this before?