5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 6:36 PM by Bill Robinson

How to execute a snapshot on Vsphere with BMC

Hi all,

I see that bladelogic can make a snapshot of objects, but not on the entire server.

We use in our DC some virtual machines managed with VMWare's VSphere and so I'd like to know how I can take a snapshot of a server with VSphere via Bladelogic.

Thx

Fabio

• 1. How to execute a snapshot on Vsphere with BMC

Hi Fabio,

Do you want to take a VMware Snapshot of the Virtual Machines?

If this is what you want, you can enroll the vCenter server as a Managed Server and distribute the VMware vCenter Custom Object to it. There, through the UI Live Browse of the vCenter Server you can take VMware Snapshots of the Virtual Machine. Please note, there is limited support for this functionality. You can only take VMware Snapshots out of the box as of today. The same can be achieved via BLCLI as well. This snapshot information is stored directly within vSphere and BladeLogic keeps no history of the same.

If this is not what you're talking about, and you're instead talking about BladeLogic Snapshot's, some more clarification would be great

• 2. How to execute a snapshot on Vsphere with BMC

Hi and thanks for the answer.

Do you want to take a VMware Snapshot of the Virtual Machines?

Yeah, I do and I want to do this via Bladelogic.

If this is what you want, you can enroll the vCenter server as a Managed Server and distribute the VMware vCenter Custom Object to it

Do you mean I can enroll the vCenter inside Bladelogic as a Managed Server?

The same can be achieved via BLCLI as well

What is BLCLI?

• 3. How to execute a snapshot on Vsphere with BMC

Hi Fabio,

Yes you enroll vCenter but you must use a special RSCD agent that you will find from EPD.  It is recommended you read the guides as there are some instance config requirements.

For BLCLI, again read the guides or use BLCLI help that you will find installs with the appserver.

• 4. How to execute a snapshot on Vsphere with BMC

Hi,

ok, I understood how to use the network shell where it can be launched BLCLI commands, due to guides you suggested to me.

I clarify you that when I talk about snapshots, I refer to vCenter's snapshots and absolutely not to bladelogic's snapshot jobs.

At this point I'd like to know other funcionality usefull for my purposes.

First of all I need to know if it's possible to make a bladelogic script in which I'll write blcli command on cached credentials and authentication to a determined profile (e.g. "blcli -v profile -r username....).

Then, starting from the script I would like to make a bladelogic job that permits to run the snapshots and also the revert snapshots on a target VM machine.

Is it possible to do that with bladelogic?

• 5. Re: How to execute a snapshot on Vsphere with BMC
                  Bill Robinson

In bbsa 8.1 there is a command Virtualization.snapshotVirtualGuest.  I think you want to look at that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful