4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 11:27 AM by Rob Slattery

Licensing Error

Rob Slattery

Hey Everyone,

I get the following error when trying to license a server within BladeLogic:  server001.lab Licensing error: Unable to acquire license information from server: server001.lab

This is way out of my league and was wondering if someone might help on why I receive the above error.  Below are two event log messages my windows server receives when I try to license the server.

To verify the installation of the agent is not corrupt (as informed by the error in the app log below), I've installed, uninstalled, re-installed and receive the same error. I've installed using the same software on other servers and it works fine (no software corruption).  It is an intermittent problem.

Log Name:      Security
      Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
      Date:          5/20/2011 2:48:32 PM
      Event ID:      5159
      Task Category: Filtering Platform Connection
      Level:         Information
      Keywords:      Audit Failure
      User:          N/A
      Computer:      server001.LAB
      The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.

Application Information:
      Process ID:  632
      Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume1\windows\system32\lsass.exe

Network Information:
      Source Address:
      Source Port:  54859
      Protocol:  17

Filter Information:
      Filter Run-Time ID: 0
      Layer Name:  Resource Assignment
      Layer Run-Time ID: 36

And in the Application Log I see this:

Log Name:      Application
      Source:        RSCDsvc
      Date:          5/20/2011 11:39:23 AM
      Event ID:      0
      Task Category: None
      Level:         Information
      Keywords:      Classic
      User:          N/A
      Computer:      server001.LAB
      The description for Event ID 0 from source RSCDsvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ManageAgent: Agent being restarted - count=50

• 1. Licensing Error
          Bill Robinson

this looks like a problem:  The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.

is this 2008?  is the firewall enabled?  i would look at adjusting the firewall wall policy or verifying that you can telnet to 4750 on the target as a start.

• 2. Licensing Error
            Rob Slattery

Hello Bill,

This particular server we will discuss happens to be a 2008 server.  I cannot Telnte to the server and port 4750 because we're not allowed to have that protocol enabled.

We do not have any Microsoft firewalls in place (server side that is) but we do have mcafee installed.  Our network team has not blocked port 4750.

Here's the twist.  We have multiple domains in the environment.  The only servers which fail are in two of the domains.  Oh, no, wait, it gets better, they don't always fail.  : O)

I'll check our mcafee team to see what they might be doing from a security perspective.

• 3. Re: Licensing Error
              Bill Robinson

You should still be able to use telnet to connect to 4750 even if telnet (which runs on port 23 typically I think) is not enabled.  You’re just initiating a connection to a particular port.

• 4. Licensing Error
                Rob Slattery

Yup, correct.  Telnet is open and running fine.  I'll need to open a case; thanks for the info.