5 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2011 7:16 AM by Rohit Nayyar

Bladelogic 8.1 - Redhat patch analysis failure

I just set up a patch catalog for RHEL 5 and updated it without any problems.  I then created a patch analysis job using that catalog and ran it against two servers.  The two servers are running RHEL 5.3 and RHEL 5.5 with absolutely no updates (they are freshly built).  When running the patch analysis job against the servers, it only runs for a couple seconds, then ends with a successful result.  However, drilling down, I see that the two servers failed analysis, and when opening up the server results, all it shows is "Exit Code:   Error" and "Status:   Completed with Errors", but there is nothing listed in the Run Details that would indicate the error that occurred.  Being that these are newly built servers without any updates, the patch analysis should have shown several patches that needed to be applied.  I also reviewed the job log on the BL application server, and saw the following java exception:

06 May 2011 13:24:10,301] [Job-Execution-4] [INFO] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [Patching] Starting Patch Analysis job execution

[06 May 2011 13:24:10,465] [Job-Execution-3] [INFO] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [PatchAnalysis] Started running the job 'analysis-2001700-RHEL5_Security_Patch_Analysis_Job2011-05-05 09-46-26-612-0500' with priority 'NORMAL' on application server 'myBLAppServer_j01'(2,000,200)

[06 May 2011 13:24:12,292] [Job-Execution-3] [INFO] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [PatchAnalysis] The job 'analysis-2001700-RHEL5_Security_Patch_Analysis_Job2011-05-05 09-46-26-612-0500' has succeeded

[06 May 2011 13:24:12,299] [Job-Execution-3] [ERROR] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [PatchAnalysis]

at java.util.StringTokenizer.nextToken(StringTokenizer.java:332)

at com.bladelogic.om.patch.shared.PatchUtilities.getOsArch(PatchUtilities.java:71)

at com.bladelogic.om.patch.model.job.analysis.AsyncLinuxPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.createPreAnalysisWorkItem(AsyncLinuxPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.java:342)

at com.bladelogic.om.patch.model.job.analysis.AsyncPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.createPreAnalysisWorkItems(AsyncPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.java:1141)

at com.bladelogic.om.patch.model.job.analysis.AsyncPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.startJobExecution(AsyncPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.java:1070)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.JobExecutor.processEvent(JobExecutor.java:414)

at com.bladelogic.om.patch.model.job.analysis.AsyncPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.processEvent(AsyncPatchAnalysisJobExecutor.java:257)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.JobExecutor.processEvents(JobExecutor.java:263)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.execution.JobExecutionThread.execute(JobExecutionThread.java:116)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.execution.JobExecutionThread.execute(JobExecutionThread.java:25)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.thread.BlBlockingThread.run(BlBlockingThread.java:95)

[06 May 2011 13:24:12,306] [Job-Execution-4] [INFO] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [Patching] Analysis phase completed successfully.

[06 May 2011 13:24:12,331] [Job-Execution-4] [WARN] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [Patching] No missing patches found or no data available for all servers - remediation step will be skipped

[06 May 2011 13:24:12,352] [Job-Execution-4] [INFO] [myUser:BLAdmins:] [Patching] The job 'RHEL5_Security_Patch_Analysis_Job' has succeeded

I'm not sure if that messages identifies the problem, but it seemed significant. 

I appreciatie any insight to what may be happening or what fix there may be.  Thanks!

• 1. Bladelogic 8.1 - Redhat patch analysis failure
          Bill Robinson

what agent version are the targets?

is there anything in /var/tmp/stage/<catalog directory> on the targets?

• 2. Bladelogic 8.1 - Redhat patch analysis failure

Agents are

There are files under /var/tmp/stage/<catalog directory> for each attempt I made.  The error logs are empty.  The yum-analysis log shows the list of RPMs that were to be downloaded, but the log ends with:

lm_sensors                x86_64   2.10.7-9.el5                   repo   525 k

policycoreutils           x86_64   1.33.12-14.8.el5               repo   629 k

policycoreutils-gui       x86_64   1.33.12-14.8.el5               repo   131 k

Transaction Summary

Install      7 Package(s)

Update     140 Package(s)

Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 264 M

Is this ok [y/N]: Exiting on user Command

It appeared nothing was downloaded.  In fact, the repo directory seems pretty light in terms of disk space - there are no RPMs, just some pkg lists and a couple xml files.

• 3. Bladelogic 8.1 - Redhat patch analysis failure

I found the source of my problem.  We had a ACL profile set against the jobs which prevented my ID from creating the patch remediation objects.

However, now that I've gotten it to run analysis, the job still fails with the following:

Error          May 6, 2011 3:23:22 PM          There was a problem resolving the soft links in the package: java.io.IOException: JNI file copy from '//<blAppServerName/bladelogic/repo/RHEL5_Patch_Catalog/samba-3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2.x86_64.rpm' to '//<myClient>/var/tmp/stage/c167fa51a2c435fa9d57ab990349fbaf/2006923.1/samba-3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2.x86_64.rpm' failed: : No such file or directory

I'm not sure how a missing could even happen since all the downloading and patch catalog setup is done within Bladelogic.  What can be done to fix/troubleshoot this?

• 4. Bladelogic 8.1 - Redhat patch analysis failure
                Bill Robinson

not downloading any rpms during the analysis phase is normal (2 posts pack)

what access does the role running the paj have to the repo server?  it needs to be able to see the rpm files in the catalog.  it looks like it cannot. 

• 5. Re: Bladelogic 8.1 - Redhat patch analysis failure

Check the target server list, make sure there are no offline ( not live ) servers. I am not sure about 8.1 but I have seen same problem on 8.0,  if any of the servers in the server target list is offline or doesn’t have the properties of OS , version and arch populated lately ( by running a update server property job ), the analysis job just succeeds like in this case but you see exceptions in appserver log and no analysis results is ever reported.

I did open a issue for the same.

Hope this helps.