1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 8:15 AM by Jim Campbell

Database cleanup questions

Jim Campbell

We're looking at using the database cleanup utilities for the first time, and a few questions:

Delete executeRetentionPolicy - my understanding is that this applies ONLY to:

1. Job Runs - dictated by the RESULTS_RETENTION_TIME property.  Does changing this property retroactively affect job runs?  I.e. if i have had this set to 90 days for the past year and i set it to a year, will it affect all of the past year's job runs?  Is the property set at the time the job run object is created, or checked when the job run deletion is being performed.

2. Jobs created by Autoremediation - dictated by the appserver AutoGeneratedRetentionTime property

3. Depot Objects created by Autoremediation - dictated by the appserver AutoGeneratedRetentionTime property

These are the only things affected?  I'm concerned we'll delete some depot object or job that we still use that hasn't been modified in a year.  As long as its restricted to only depot objects and jobs created by autoremediation we should be fine.

Delete cleanupHistoricalData - How does this work?  Does it just clear out 'orphaned' results (i.e. those that were associated with job runs that have been deleted)?  If not, what does it use as criteria for deletion?

• 1. Database cleanup questions
          Bill Robinson

1 - the property is set when the job is created or if you manually update it on existing jobs.  if you set it to 90, created a bunch of jobs then changed the default to 365 your new jobs would be retained for 365 days, but the existing jobs would still be retaining 90, unless you manually updated the property value on the existing jobs.

2,3 - AUTO_GENERATED must be 'true' for that to work for either jobs or depot objects.  i forget when that is set.

cleanupHistorical is removing old data in the specified domain - audittrail, job run event, etc.  you can set this at run time like 'cleanupHistoricalData <domain> <days> null null'.  the default varies for domain - result i believe is based on dependencies, audittrail, jobrunevent and jobschedule have a default setting, i'm not sure offhand where that is set.

btw, you should be running the cleanup commands in this sequence:

blcli Delete executeRetentionPolicy

blcli Delete cleanupHistoricalData AuditTrail
          blcli Delete cleanupHistoricalData JobRunEvent > /dev/null
          blcli Delete cleanupHistoricalData JobSchedule
          blcli Delete cleanupHistoricalData AuditResult
          blcli Delete cleanupHistoricalData ComplianceResult
          blcli Delete cleanupHistoricalData SnapshotResult

blcli Delete cleanupDatabase
          blcli Delete cleanupAppServerCache <# of days, the minimum retention time is 3 days.>
          blcli Delete cleanupFileServer

• 2. Database cleanup questions
            Jim Campbell

So for jobs and depot objects its something like this? (pseudo sql):

delete from job where job.auto_generated = true and SYSDATE > job.last_modified + job.results_retention_time

I guess the rest of my questions are all related.  In this case, what happens to the job_runs in the database associated with the deleted jobs?  Are those deleted at the same time?  And when the job_runs are deleted, are the associated job_run_events also deleted?  Probably not all that important as long as items with auto_generated are not affected as we would rarely run a job or use a depot object from autoremediation more than once.

And the last thing, while I've filed a ticket about this, I wonder if anyone else has had the issue.  We encountered a bug where aborting a Windows Patch Analysis job would sometimes cause it to completely flood the appserver logs and job_run_revent table with records saying "Task has timed out, canceling command execution" starting 10 hours after the job was started.  We had this happen a few times where we didn't notice and it ended up adding right around 100 million rows to the job_run_event table with one job run alone accounting for about 45 million of those.  Has anyone ever seen this, and did you have any problems cleaning it up?

• 3. Database cleanup questions
              Bill Robinson

i don't know if it uses last modified or date_created for the auto_generated cleanup.

if the job is deleted, the job runs should be removed, but the job_run_event data will still be in the db afaik, until you run the cleanupHistorical on jobrun event. 

your table spam issue is fixed in sp8.

can you post the issue #?

• 4. Database cleanup questions
                Jim Campbell

Is there a way to preview what going to be deleted?  If i made a smartgroup for job/depot object where auto_generated = true would that be a complete list of possible targets?

The ticket is ISS03768656.  Glad to see we werent the only ones to see the issue at least.

• 5. Re: Database cleanup questions
                  Bill Robinson

you could make the smart group to see what depot objects and jobs would get deleted.

That’s not going to show the job runs though (nothing will).  you could see what jobs have what retention policy w/  a smart group.

• 6. Database cleanup questions
                    Jim Campbell

What is the easiest way to set the retention policy on extant jobs?  I see

Job recursivelySetProperty "GroupName" "Property" "Value"

if i were to run this as:

blcli_execute Job recursivelySetProperty "/" "RESULTS_RETENTION_TIME" 365

set Cleanup AutoGeneratedRetentionTime 365

then run

blcli_execute Delete cleanupHistoricalData [audit,jobrunevent,jobschedule,auditresult,compliancresult,snapshotresult] 365 15000 BLAdmins

that should reduce it to only cleaning up autoremediation jobs, job runs, and historical data more than a year old ?

• 7. Database cleanup questions
                      Jim Campbell

Or not, apparebntly Job recursivelySetProperty doesn't allow for setting integer values.

• 8. Database cleanup questions
                        Scott Dunbar

Hi Jim,

If RESULTS_RETENTION_TIME has no existing value, and you configure a default value in the property dictionary then all your Jobs will take this value.

You can also set the value based on job sub class, just have a look in the property dictionary.

• 9. Database cleanup questions
                          Jim Campbell

Right now we have about 10000 jobs with RESULTS_RETENTION_TIME all set to 90, and my understanding is that altering the default value for the Job class or its subclasses would have no effect on these existing jobs.

• 10. Database cleanup questions
                            Bill Robinson

try running the blcli against an actual group, not '/'. there should be an 'all jobs' smart group.

• 11. Database cleanup questions
                              Bill Robinson

after you set the property you need to set the auto-gen, then run a blcli Delete executeRetentionPolicy, then the various cleanup commands.

• 12. Database cleanup questions
                                Jim Campbell

The Job recursivelySetProperty function wasn't working at all (erroring before it even started) presumably because it was failing to convert the string "365" to the integer 365.

I just tried as you suggested with blcli_execute Job findAllByGroupId $GroupID false

where groupid was the id of the 'all jobs' smartgroup and got:

Command execution failed. java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

which seems to happen frequently when attempting to use the CLI (and makes it tempting to use SQL against the database directly).

• 13. Database cleanup questions
                                  Bill Robinson

you should increase the heap of the jvm.  are you using a 64 or 32bit jvm?  and are you using the 'blcli' or the performance commands (blcli_execute) ?

• 14. Database cleanup questions
                                    Jim Campbell

I tried from my laptop (32bit) and from the appserver itself (64bit).  If I restrict it to only batch jobs (just under 1200 jobs) it comes up.

Using blcli_execute as I don't think Job findAllByGroupId can be used from blcli.

1 2 Previous Next