10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 10:21 AM by Scott Dunbar

Custom Properties used in reports and AIE for Multi-tenancy

Share This:

Hi,

As part of a multi-tenancy design we pass a SERVER._CUSTOMER property to reports.

I have marked the property to be used in reports but it has not come across to the CMDB, we have had a good look around using AIE to see where to configure this.

We have also had a look in the BSARA_DW_DB to see the new property but we can’t see it in there at all.

Can anyone please give me an idea which table this new property will be included?

• 1. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
          Bill Robinson

What version of bdssa?  I think this was an issue addressed in sp2 or sp3 or a hotfix for one of those versions.

• 2. Custom Properties used in reports and AIE

Hi Bill...

BDSSA 2.0 SP3

• 3. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
              Bill Robinson

I want to say this was addressed in sp3hf2 but I could be wrong..

The other thing to look at – if your bdssa server is w2k8, are you running the update_cognos_model.bat after the etl ? (I think that’s the right bat name)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Custom Properties used in reports and AIE

Thanks Bill it could be one of them I will check!

Just FYI, I have found that we can check for the existance of the new extended property by accessing Query/Reports studio and checking BladeLogic > Report Layer > Server > Server Property

Nothing actually shows there so i think the customer has missed a key step.

• 5. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
                  Bill Robinson

That sounds like the defect I ran into.  I would check the upgrade steps they performed and how they are running the etl…

• 6. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
                    Gerardo Bartoccini

Bill, are you saying that properties can make it to the CMDB without no modifications to the SQL queries added by BL2Atrium?

I had to deeply modify them in order to achieve this.

• 7. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
                      Paul Seager-Smith

Hi G, I haven't done the CMDB integration with BL (just Marimba, old ADDM and Eye of The Storm), but I would also expect it to be necessary to modify the views created for AIE. What does the BL integration use for multi-tenancy, it must map the ITSM Company field from somewhere in BL to handle this? The logical way to do this would be based on a server property ...

• 8. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
                        Bill Robinson

No, but if they aren’t showing up in bdssa, that is the first part of the problem.

• 9. Re: Custom Properties used in reports and AIE
                          Gerardo Bartoccini

Paul,

what I did is to edit the property view created by the BL2Atrium installer.

Find the file called "create_bl2atrium_schema.sql"

Edit the SQL code for BL2ATRIUM_SERVER_PROPERTY_VIEW creation.

It will look like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FORCE VIEW BL2ATRIUM_SERVER_PROPERTY_VIEW

AS

select         distinct  M.SERVER_HIST_ID,min(case when P.property_name='AGENT_STATUS' then  P.property_char_val else null end) "AGENT_STATUS",

[snip]

At some point, you will find entries such as:

min(case when P.property_name='RSCD_DIR' then  P.property_char_val else null end) "RSCD_DIR",

min(case when P.property_name='RSCD_VERSION' then  P.property_char_val else null end) "RSCD_VERSION",

Here you can create and add your own piece of code:

min(case when P.property_name='MY_PROPERTY' then  P.property_char_val else null end) "MY_PROPERTY",

etc.

Please remember that you need to re-rerun the stored procedure creation.

I recommend to delete all BL2Atrium views, tables and procedures and run the sql script again.

This will allow you to make sure that your custom create_bl2atrium_schema.sql script works fine.

• 10. Custom Properties used in reports and AIE

For anyone that may be interested.

BL8.0 using SQL DB

BL2Atrium installer loads a SQL script called x:\Program Files\BMC Software\BL2AI\8.0.00\DBScripts\sqlserver\2.0\install_bl2atrium_schema.sql

Add the following to the BL2ATRIUM_SERVER_PROPERTY_VIEW view creation:

MIN(CASE WHEN srvprop.property_name=''_COMPANY'' THEN  srvprop.property_char_val ELSE NULL END) AS _COMPANY,

This loads the new custom property as a column in the BL2ATRIUM_SERVER_PROPERTY_VIEW view

The following code will create a new view that contains all the nessesary columns for customising AIE to pull in the _COMPANY property that will form the basis of access controls across both BladeLogic and CMDB.

print 'creating View BL2ATRIUM_AIE_VIEW'
                            select @sql='Create View BL2ATRIUM_AIE_VIEW
                            as
                            select  CS.Server_Name AS Server_Name,
                            CS.ServerID AS ServerID,
                            CS.Domain AS Domain,
                            CS.Category AS Category,
                            CS.Type AS Type,
                            CS.Item AS Item,
                            CS.Host As Host,
                            CS.Server_State AS Server_State,
                            CS.Description AS Description,
                            CS.LastScanned AS LastScanned,
                            CS.Agent_Status AS Agent_Status,
                            CS.Is_Virtual AS Is_Virtual,
                            SP._COMPANY AS _COMPANY

from BL2ATRIUM_COMPUTERSYSTEM_VIEW CS join BL2ATRIUM_SERVER_PROPERTY_VIEW SP
                            on CS.ServerID = SP.FQN'
                            exec(@sql)