1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 9:39 AM by Cass Bishop

Documentation and installation of Application Release Automation 8.1.00 on Linux

Share This:

Dear all,

this is my first post/question/discussion.
      I first went through a lot of Product Documentation
      (technical bulletins, release notes, install-, user-, administration- and getting started guides) and did a Community Search,
      so hope to find some answers and acquire the required information here.

Subject:
      installation of BMC Bladelogic Application Release Automation (BBARA/BARA/previously Phurnace) Standard 8.1.00 on Linux

On EPD I downloaded the following:

BL AppRelease User Guide.PDF:

BMC BladeLogic Application Release Automation—Standard Edition User Guide,
      Supporting BMC BladeLogic Application Release Automation,

Standard Edition 8.1.00
      December 2010

187128.PDF:
      BMC BladeLogic Application Release Automation Getting Started Guide,
      Supporting BMC BladeLogic Application Release Automation,

February 2011

AND

32bit ARASInstaller-LINUX-8.1.0.a157084

64bit ARASInstaller-LINUX64-8.1.0.a157084

Strange enough, the 64 bit version is not mentioned in both (previously named) documents.

In 187128.PDF (Chapter 2, pages 15 and 16) the following is cited, but steps 7, 9, 10 and 11 do not show up during installation:

7 From a hierarchical list, select the types of Java EE applications for which you want
      to install content, and then click Next.

Select any of the following:
      WebSphere (any version)
      WebLogic 9.2 or later
      WebLogic 8.1

I ran through the installation steps from both versions and never saw the above screen/list, to select Websphere or Weblogic.
      In the end I just installed the 64bit version on the 64bit Appliation Server (Linux RHEL 5.3).

9 Enter your BMC BladeLogic logon credentials—authentication profile, user
      account, and password, and then click Next.

10 If the user that you specified is assigned to more than one role, you must select a
      single role to be used for the installation. Then click Next.

11 If you want to install the special reports for Java EE applications, specify the name
      of the BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation report server.
      Then click Next.

I find the documentation (differences) quite confusing.
      Also the fact that 64bit version is not mentioned anywhere and I am missing some screens/selectable options during 32bit AND 64bit installation.

Hopefully someone encountered this before?

Thank you for your time and possible feedback.

Kind regards,

Alex Jolly