6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 10:29 AM by Andrew Adams

Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments

Hi

I am trying to use BL8.0.359 to patch RHEL 5 servers, I have a test environment with an app server, filestore and I have a separate server that holds the patch repository.  I am using an online solution and the catalog builds with no problems.  All the mentioned servers are RHEL 5u4 currently.

Running an analysis against a test server identifies the patches required and I select to remediate.  BL builds the package and the batch jobs no problem but when trying to deploy the package I keep hitting the same error at the staging phase.

Handle Soft link problem : BLAST Copy failed : command=[/usr/NSH/bin/blast sync --nodelete //{repository path}/{RPM being installed} //{target server stage path} ], exit code 255

When I run the above command on the nsh command line on the app server this works fine and the rpm is copied to the target server.

I can load the RPM into BL depot and deploy using a normal install job without any errors.

Any ideas what could be the problem ?

• 1. Re: Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments

What is in the appserver log ? Can you post the complete deploy job log ? Try to increase the logging level by setting ‘All Information’ in the deploy job option logging level setting and rerun the job, it should give more details if not already

Regards,

Rohit

• 2. Re: Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments
            Bill Robinson

What is your default umask?

What’s in the rsc files on your file server (/usr/lib/rsc) ?

• 3. Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments

From the Job log

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:19 PM Invoking: /usr/nsh/NSH/bin/blast list --details --recursive //gbahevl363.ics.express.tnt/opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/patching/antlr-2.7.6-4jpp.2.i386.rpm 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:19 PM Checking size of '//gbahevl363.ics.express.tnt/opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/patching/gjdoc-0.7.7-12.el5.i386.rpm' 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:19 PM Invoking: /usr/nsh/NSH/bin/blast list --details --recursive //gbahevl363.ics.express.tnt/opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/patching/gjdoc-0.7.7-12.el5.i386.rpm 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:19 PM Checking size of '//gbahevl205.gb.tntpost.com/datastore/BL/storage//installables/2034975.1/repodata.tar.gz' 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:19 PM Invoking: /usr/nsh/NSH/bin/ls -A -l -R //gbahevl205.gb.tntpost.com/datastore/BL/storage//installables/2034975.1/repodata.tar.gz 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM Package on server gbahevl205.gb.tntpost.com is 12082375 bytes in size. 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM Invoking: /usr/nsh/NSH/bin/ndf -H -c -h gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM Staging directory on server gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com has 844345344 bytes available. 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM Copying from '//gbahevl363.ics.express.tnt/opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/patching/java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115.i386.rpm' to '//gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com/var/tmp/stage/1b5b9f7fe082379dbf1f4c4f1cb5e3fc/2033643.1/' 

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM Invoking: /usr/nsh/NSH/bin/blast sync --nodelete //gbahevl363.ics.express.tnt/opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/patching/java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115.i386.rpm //gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com/var/tmp/stage/1b5b9f7fe082379dbf1f4c4f1cb5e3fc/2033643.1/ 

Error Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM Handle soft link problem : BLAST Copy Failed: command=[/usr/nsh/NSH/bin/blast sync --nodelete //gbahevl363.ics.express.tnt/opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/patching/java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115.i386.rpm //gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com/var/tmp/stage/1b5b9f7fe082379dbf1f4c4f1cb5e3fc/2033643.1/], exitCode=255

Info Mar 11, 2011 1:24:20 PM The job 'test 1 remediate - adaptx and depends-gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com-22885211 @ 2011-03-11 13-23-43-537+0000->test 1 remediate - adaptx and depends-gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com-22885211 @ 2011-03-11 13-23-43-537+0000' has failed on server gbahevl425.gb.tntpost.com 

• 4. Re: Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments

What are the permissions on the  usr/nsh/NSH/bin/blast. I believe When you manually tried running the exact same command for the same rpm  , it works fine,  how did you run it , as root ? can you try running it as bladmin ( the unix user  the appserver runs as ).

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments

Bill

The default umask for root is 022, and below are the extracts from the /usr/lib/rsc files

#       -- All Rights Reserved --
                  #
                  #  This file is read by the "rscd" to determine permissions for the given host.
                  #
                  # Please read the BladeLogicAdministration.pdf or "exports" man page for details
                  # on how to use this file.
                  #
                  gbahevl202.gb.tntpost.com,10.210.100.197 rw,user=root
                  gbahevl205#

gbahevl205#     more users.local
                  #
                  #  Copyright (c) 2001-2007 BladeLogic, Inc.
                  #       -- All Rights Reserved --
                  #
                  # This file contains a list of user permission overrides. The permissions
                  # defined in this file will override any associated permissions defined in the
                  # "exports" or "users" file.
                  #
                  # Please read the BladeLogicAdministration.pdf for details on how to use this
                  # file.
                  #
                  root    rw,map=root
                  BLAdmins:BLAdmin        rw,map=root
                  BLAdmins:*              rw,map=root
                  gbahevl205#
                  #
                  # This file was automatically generated by the Configuration Manager RBAC console.
                  # Any changes to this file will be lost upon the next update by the RBAC
                  # console. Local changes should be made in the users.local file
                  #
                  # The special characters listed below get automatically encoded. For example,
                  # "Configuration Manager Administrator" becomes "Configuration%20Manager%20Administrator".
                  # '%' --> %25
                  # ',' --> %2c
                  # ':' --> %3a
                  # '#' --> %23
                  # ' ' --> %20
                  # TAB --> %09
                  #
                  # Date created: Fri Mar 11 15:07:24 GMT 2011
                  # Created by BLAdmins:h179ahe from Application Server gbahevl202.gb.tntpost.com running on host gbahevl202.gb.tntpost.com
                  # BLAdmins ACLs
                  BLAdmins:BLAdmin                               

rw,map=root,commands=CM:a2ps:agentinfo:agrep:awk:blkeylogman:blquery:bunzip2:bzcat:bzip2:bzip2recover:cat:chgrp:chmod:chown:

cksum:cmp:colrm:column:comm:compres
                  s:convert:cp:cut:dd:df:diff:dsync:du:echo:edit:egrep:elvis:ex:expand:fgrep:file:find:fnmatch:fold:funzip:getlic:grep:gunzip:

gzcat:gzip:head:hexdump:hgrep:hostname:input:join:kill:l:lam:lc:less:lf:link:ln:log
                  man:lr:ls:lv:lx:md5sum:mkdir:mkfifo:mknod:more:mv:ncp:ndircmp:ndsync:nlogin:nohup:nsh:nshopt:ntop:nunzip:od:order:paste:pax:

pg:pkgadd:pr:prune:putlic:redi:renice:rm:rmdir:rsu:runcmd:runscript:scriptutil:sed:
                  sort:split:strings:su:sum:tail:tar:tee:test:touch:tr:uname:uncompress:uncp:unexpand:uniq:unlink:unzip:unzipsfx:update:uudeco

de:uuencode:vi:view:vsh:vshview:vtree:wc:xd:zcat:zip:zipinfo:zipnote:zipsplit:nexec
                  :arp:bldeploy:blpatchcheck:blprops:blquery:complus_scan:df:discovery:drives:finger:halt:ifconfig:instfix:iostat:ipconfig:kmt

une:lsfs:lslpp:mem:metabase_scan:modinfo:modload:modunload:mount:nbtstat:net:netsta
                  t:nexec:nfsstat:pagesize:pgrep:pkgadd:pkginfo:pkill:prtconf:ps:reboot:reg_scan:rpm:showfixes:showprogs:showrev:size:start:st

atus:swap:swlist:sysdef:umount:uptime:who:win_acl:winsvc:xbiff:xterm
                  BLAdmins:h179ahe                               

rw,map=root,commands=CM:a2ps:agentinfo:agrep:awk:blkeylogman:blquery:bunzip2:bzcat:bzip2:bzip2recover:cat:chgrp:chmod:chown:

cksum:cmp:colrm:column:comm:compres
                  s:convert:cp:cut:dd:df:diff:dsync:du:echo:edit:egrep:elvis:ex:expand:fgrep:file:find:fnmatch:fold:funzip:getlic:grep:gunzip:

gzcat:gzip:head:hexdump:hgrep:hostname:input:join:kill:l:lam:lc:less:lf:link:ln:log
                  man:lr:ls:lv:lx:md5sum:mkdir:mkfifo:mknod:more:mv:ncp:ndircmp:ndsync:nlogin:nohup:nsh:nshopt:ntop:nunzip:od:order:paste:pax:

pg:pkgadd:pr:prune:putlic:redi:renice:rm:rmdir:rsu:runcmd:runscript:scriptutil:sed:
                  sort:split:strings:su:sum:tail:tar:tee:test:touch:tr:uname:uncompress:uncp:unexpand:uniq:unlink:unzip:unzipsfx:update:uudeco

de:uuencode:vi:view:vsh:vshview:vtree:wc:xd:zcat:zip:zipinfo:zipnote:zipsplit:nexec
                  :arp:bldeploy:blpatchcheck:blprops:blquery:complus_scan:df:discovery:drives:finger:halt:ifconfig:instfix:iostat:ipconfig:kmt

une:lsfs:lslpp:mem:metabase_scan:modinfo:modload:modunload:mount:nbtstat:net:netsta
                  t:nexec:nfsstat:pagesize:pgrep:pkgadd:pkginfo:pkill:prtconf:ps:reboot:reg_scan:rpm:showfixes:showprogs:showrev:size:start:st

atus:swap:swlist:sysdef:umount:uptime:who:win_acl:winsvc:xbiff:xterm

• 6. Re: Deployment errors in RHEL patch deployments

Thanks Rohit,

Checking the permissions on /usr/nsh/NSH/bin/blast against our production version highlighted a variation, amended the persmissions on the test environment and now it will deploy successfully 

Once again thanks!!!!