13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 2:35 AM by igangwar RSS

How to connect Birt to Remedy?

Toast

Hi all,

I need to connect Birt to Remedy to build Reports with multiple Datasets.

How can I get this connection without direct access to database with a databaseuser with reading access.

Reports shall continue to be run directly from the report console at remedy.

At this moment we build a report in the report console, export the rptdesign-file, edit rptdesign-file in birt and after all import it again in remedy and check the modifications.

Thx for help

Oliver

• 1. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    David J. Easter

Currently, it is not  supported to create your own reports using a designer provided by BIRT and import them into Remedy.  The web-reporting engine is limited for use as a rendering technology to meet the basic  reporting needs of AR System and ITSM customers at no additional charge  and not intended to provide a fully featured reporting solution.   Supported reports are therefore only those provided by BMC  out-of-the-box or those created ad-hoc using the AR System Reports  Console.   Customers requiring an advanced reporting solution would be  best served to utilize the BMC Analytics product.  Reports created using  BMC Analytics are supported for importing into AR System and can be  launched from the Reports Console.

Thanks,

------------

David J. Easter

Product Line Manager

Remedy Platform

BMC Software, Inc.

• 2. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    Paul Bappoo

Hi Toast,

I don't know anything about Remedy but I know a lot about BIRT - why do you not have a user that can query the database? If you did then could you not simply use BIRT externally and set up reports that run in their own environment and query the database?

Probably way off the mark here, but thought I'd drop in the suggestion!

Best

Paul

http://www.BIRTReporting.com

• 3. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    UWE.KAPPE

Hi David,

when Birt is not supported to create completely new reports with a nice layout like in Crystal Reports. So what's the appropriate way to get a well designed report that works in web without using CR and a BOXI server? I simply want to get a well looking printout of the contents of a single entry.

Questioning with best regards from Germany

Uwe

• 4. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    David J. Easter

Hi Uwe,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, your choices are to utilize the provided Reporting Console that is part of AR System or utilize BMC Analytics / Business Objects. 

The intention of the new web reporting feature is not to replace Business Objects / BMC Analytics but rather to add a graphical option that enhances the legacy AR Reports - which were only text based.

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter

Product Line Manager
    Remedy Platform
    BMC Software, Inc.

• 5. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    Sandy NameToUpdate

Hi All,

I am trying to save the .rptdesign file from the Reports form, for doing modifications using the BIRT Designer. But whenever i save the file it is saving with 0 KB that is there is no data in the report file. Could any one please help me why this is happening?

Thanks

Santosh

• 7. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    igangwar

Hi David,

Here one question for you, this functionality is same in 7.6.04 as well or we can use BIRT to modify the existing reports.

Advance Thanks,

• 8. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    David J. Easter

The functionality is the same in AR System 7.6.03 and 7.6.04, yes.  Currently, as mentioned above, it is not supported to use an external designer to create or modify web reports.  If that changes, an official statement will be made.

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter

Product Line Manager, AR System

BSM & Atrium Solutions Mgmt
    BMC Software, Inc.

• 9. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    Amey Bagwe

Hi David,

We are using ITSM version 7604, will the reports in format ".rptdesign" work with BIRT..? Can you please share some thoughts...

Thanks

Amey

• 10. Re: How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    Howard Richter

David,

You say that we should not be using Eclipse/BIRT report designer, however, one of the out of box reports "Incident Details by Status and Assigned Groups" was created using this tool. That info was provided by BMC support on an issue that I opened on how to create a pop-up window in a report.

So if BMC allows this on the reports provided, then maybe they need to let us know how they did it.

Our customers (and yours) would want to have that functionality on the reports they need to run their business.

Take care,

Howard

• 11. Re: How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    David J. Easter

Hi Howard,

You are correct that BMC uses a report designer to create the Out-of-the-Box reports provided with the product.  However, at this time, those reports are provided "as-is" and modification using an external tool is not currently supported.  

BMC recognizes the desire of our customers to be able to modify such reports and is currently evaluating options that would address that need.  If the situation changes, an official statement will be made.

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter

BMC Software, Inc.

• 12. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    David J. Easter

All,

I'm pleased to announce that BMC has created a white paper that describes how to use a BIRT editor to create or modify AR System web reports.  The publishing of this white paper means editing web reports with an external BIRT editor is now officially supported if the steps in the white paper are followed.

20-Jul-2012
    Using a BIRT Editor to Create or Modify Web ReportsPDF

Thanks,

-------------

David J. Easter

BMC Software, Inc.

• 13. How to connect Birt to Remedy?
    igangwar

Thanks David,