5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2019 11:48 PM by Jijil Gopalan

Thoughts on Putting CNAMES into the CMDB

Share This:

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get anyone's thoughts and opinions on putting CNAMES into the CMDB, and if you think it's a good idea, where they fit into the CDM, and would you add them as a relationship or an attribute.

Due to the fact they are not discoverable, and they change frequently, I'm leaning against not adding them. However I'm told that one can use a

reconciliation job against a flat file (or csv file), detect a timestamp change, and if one is detected, re-import all the CNAMES automatically into the CMDB. (I'm not sure how to set that up, but let's assume that it is possible. )

Do you think it's a good idea to load CNAMES into the CMDB?

I assume they would not be CIs themselves, rather, and attribute of something (ComputerSystem?) Normally there will be a one-to-one relationship but there's nothing to say that it couldn't be many-to-one (two or more CNAMES pointing to the same server.)

Thanks to any information anyone may be able to provide - experiences, bad things, good things, reasons I should do this, reasons I shouldn't, etc.

Much oblige!

Sam