7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 10:12 AM by chris hall

bmi error on first attempt at provisioning

This is my first attempt at setting up provisioning so I'm probably just doing something dumb.  I have the pxe server/tftp server/dhcp server/datastore setup.  I pxe booted the server and it loads gentoo, configures eth0, and looks like it is trying to run the bmi command but it fails.  It's missing the libblssl.so.0.9.8 file.  I have bmilinux.tar in the datastore root and that contains the library that is needed.  I've been looking around in the gentoo system to try and figure out if its supposed to grab that file from the datastore or what.  I see in the system wide bashrc that its running /opt/Bladelogic/setup.sh then the bmi command.  But I don't see anywhere that its trying to get that tar file.  Are there any logs on the gentoo system that might help?  Any help is appreciated.

screenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: bmi error on first attempt at provisioning
          Bill Robinson

The bmilinux.tar isn’t used till after the prov job runs (which you haven’t started afaict)

What version of blade, what version of the prov files, and what version/arch of Gentoo?

• 2. bmi error on first attempt at provisioning

That's correct I haven't started a prov job.  Just trying out the pxe setup.

Blade version is 8.0.6.622, the prov files were downloaded before the upgrade to sp6 I'm not sure of the version,  the gentoo images were created using the install-x86-minimal-2007.0-r1.iso.

That's a good point, if the provisioning files have been updated I may need to recreate these images.  I will try that.

• 3. bmi error on first attempt at provisioning

Ok, I think I see the problem.  When creating the 32 bit image I get no errors, when creating the 64 I am seeing this:

# /bin/sh mkgen2img.sh /opt/bladelogic_datastore/provisioning_files/provisioning/linux/amd64/bmi64 /opt/bladelogic_datastore/provisioning_files/install-x86-minimal-2007.0-r1.iso /opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/NSH/tftproot/X86PC/pxelinux/

/lib32

Bladelogic : Wiring gentoo with bladelogic

Bladelogic : gentoo image : extracting gentoo image

Bladelogic : gentoo image : extracting done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : wiring linuxrc

Bladelogic : gentoo image : linuxrc done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : wiring squashfs with bmi

cp: cannot create regular file `squashfs-root//lib32/liblog4c.so': No such file or directory

cp: cannot create regular file `squashfs-root//lib32/libblssl.so.0.9.8': No such file or directory

cp: cannot create regular file `squashfs-root//lib32/libblcrypto.so.0.9.8': No such file or directory

Bladelogic : gentoo image : bmi done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : lshw-static done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : wiring squashfs bashrc

Bladelogic : gentoo image : bashrc done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : generating squashfs setup.sh

Bladelogic : gentoo image : setup.sh done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : recreating squashfs

Bladelogic : gentoo image : squashfs done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : recreating gentoo image

Bladelogic : gentoo image : re-creating done

Bladelogic : gentoo image : Please find 'gentoo' and 'gentoord.gz' in /opt/bmc/BladeLogic/8.0/NSH/tftproot/X86PC/pxelinux/

The iso doesn't have a lib32 directory.  Am I supposed to be using a 64bit gentoo iso?  I'm not seeing anything like that on the gentoo mirrors.

• 4. Re: bmi error on first attempt at provisioning
                Bill Robinson

You are using the wrong Gentoo image for x64.  The right image has ‘amd64’ in the name, not x86

• 5. Re: bmi error on first attempt at provisioning

OK, I found the correct iso.  Documentation should be updated, the docs show the x86 iso in the 64bit example.  Also, I have changed the pxelinux path to read pxelinux/gentoo32 and pxelinux/gentoo64.  This seems to be what it expects.

Example: /bin/sh mkgen2img.sh

/tmp/bmc_bl/provisioning/linux/amd64/bmi

64 /tmp/bmc_bl/install-x86-minimal-2007.0-

r1.iso /tftproot/x86pc/pxelinux

(Type this command all on one line.)

This command creates the files gentoo and

gentoord.gz, which collectively make up the

Gentoo image file entity.

• 6. Re: bmi error on first attempt at provisioning
                    Bill Robinson

Yes – someone else just found this too.  can you open a ticket w/ bmc support to update the docs ?

• 7. Re: bmi error on first attempt at provisioning

Sure thing, thanks for the help.