11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 10:11 AM by R V

CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions

Jim Campbell

Seems an extremely simple task but I can't figure out the arguments to use to print out the Condition(s) for a smartgroup, and in particular a Patch Catalog Smart group for windows patching. I've tried:

blcli_execute Group getGroupByQualifiedName 5017 "/Path/PatchCatalogSmartGroup"

blcli_execute SmartGroup getSmartGroupCondition

The cli function that seems like it should work is Condition getConditionString but it requires an input of:

Variable NameVariable TypeDescription
      locale java.util.Locale no description
      prettyMode Boolean no description

It seems like its storing the Smartgroup in memory rather than the condition, but even still I can't find the right syntax for the locale.

• 1. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
          Bill Robinson

There’s a smartgroup getsmartgroupcondition but I can’t figure out how create a locale object.

• 2. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
            Jim Campbell

Yah thats the one i was trying to use after getting the smartgroup with Group getGroupByQualifiedName.  I'm not sure how using the 'undocumented' blcli functions in succession works.  It seemed like when I used Group getGroupByQualifiedName and then SmartGroup getSmartGroupCondition that it was working (echoed a value that looked like a Condition), if i did something like Condition getDBKey it looked like it was returning the DBKey of the group, not the Condition e.g.

blcli_execute Condition getDBKey

is echoing:

DBKey:SBLGroupModelKeyImpl:2002175-4295348

• 3. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
              Bill Robinson

You want something like getConditionString I think (or a similarly named command) – when you do a ‘get’ that loads the object into memory.  Commands that don’t take input act on the object in memory – some that do take input also act on what’s in memory.

• 4. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                R V

To get some Locale-object try the following (assumption: you have a SystemPackageType named "SLES 10" - which is available as default, at least in BL8.0)

blcli_execute SystemPackage getLocaleIdByName "SLES 10" "de_DE"

blcli_storeenv localeId

blcli_execute SystemPackage findLocaleById $localeId

blcli_execute Utility setTargetObject

blcli_execute Locale getDisplayName

• 5. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                  Jim Campbell

I'll try that, looks promising.

Is Utility setTargetObject the way to change the 'default' target when using the 'undocumented' commands in succession?

• 6. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                    Bill Robinson

try something like:

blcli_storeenv localeId

blcli_execute Utility storeTargetObject myLocale

blcli_execute SmartGroup getSmartGroupCondition NAMED_OBJECT=myLocale true

• 7. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                      R V

Sometimes "Utility.setTargetObject" (or "Utility.storeTargetObject" - thanks Bill, never saw this one before, presumably because I was so happy using SETtargetobject ) is needed but not always. Unfortunately I haven't figured out WHEN exactly it has to be used. But it probably has something to do with a "context".

• 8. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                        Bill Robinson

Store is good to save the object (not a dbkey) for when you need to reference the object in a later command like this case.  There are other cases I have used this and if you dig through the unreleased docs/commands the storeTargetObject is the same as saving a result in a command I think.

• 9. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                          Jim Campbell

Still getting mismatching arguments with all of this (from the getConditionString part, not the previous commands).  I was thinking this looked most likely:

blcli_storeenv localeId

blcli_execute Condition getConditionString NAMED_OBJECT=myLocale true

I tried it the way you had it as well and still mismatches.  I'm not sure how the 'NAMED_OBJECT=' bit works either.

• 10. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                            Jim Campbell

So if i do the above (up to the point of the Condition getConditionString command) its definitely getting the right object.  For instance if i do:

blcli_storeenv localeId

blcli_execute Locale getDisplayName

blcli_storeenv myLocaleString

blcli_execute Condition getType

It returns 5313 which is the object type for PROPERTY_CONDITION

I've tried to use Condition getConditionString with:

Condition getConditionString myLocaleString true

Condition getConditionString NAMED_OBJECT=myLocaleString true

Condition getConditionString myLocale true

Condition getConditionString NAMED_OBJECT=myLocale true

So far everything gives:

Command execution failed. com.bladelogic.cli.factory.CommandNotFoundException: Found command 'PropertyCondition.getConditionString' but with mismatching arguments.

The localestring comes up as German (Germany) so that part is apparently working as well - its just a matter of trying to figure out how to pass the object required for the locale into the function.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: CLI to print Smartgroup Conditions
                              R V

It tunrs out that "java.util.Locale" (which you need) is very different from "com.bladelogic.model.provision.systempackage.Locale" (which you get with my "SystemPackage-hint"; sorry for misleading you...).

The only blcli-method returning a "java.util.Locale" is "JobSchedule.getLocale". Maybe you have better luck using this one. But then again you presumably have to have some JobSchedule.object.

Another way to get some "java.util.Locale"-object may be using Jython. But using Jython I have no experience at all.