4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 3:41 AM by Soundappan Shanmugam

AIX Patch Problem -  howto

Koray Kusat

Hello all,

i'm very new to BL and trying an AIX Patching. BL version is 8.0 SP6 on Linux.My target server is AIX 6100-02 SP6

I installed VPC for AIX and created an AIX Patch Analysis job. I edited the job and choosed Class://SystemObject/AIX_Patching/6.1/Levels/6100-02. The analysis job ran fine, downloaded the BFF's to my bff root and created Analysis Result in Target Server's extended objects.

Now, i want to install a new version BFF with it's dependencies. How can i do that?  Because i dont want to upgrade whole system, just want to update some invidual packages. I can do that by using Smart Catalogs in Redhat patching. But there is no such option here. I need your guidance.

• 1. Re: AIX Patch Problem -  howto
          Bill Robinson

You can specify an exclude list during analysis, I’m not sure if that will help.  The redhat style patching is coming in 8.1

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. AIX Patch Problem -  howto
            Soundappan Shanmugam

In the case of analysis you might have put an entry of a

for creating package enter p along with a

once it is done run the job again it'l create a deploy job and packages also will be created and then you run the deploy job

Now the first question is answered..

Coming to the second one new version of BFF's enter

This will download the latest BFF files

Second one is also answered

for the third one Bill's answer is right .. because in BL8.1 we get the white list methodology like windows,solaris,Linux

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AIX Patch Problem -  howto
              Koray Kusat

Thanks guys for the answers. It seems i need to upgrade the whole system with the patch analysis, because i searched for an exclusion setting like in redhat, but couldn't find. I have to apply all the new patches and so it means a whole system update.

I have another question, is it possible to rollback an update? I suppose not, but i wanted to ask. I'll be glad if you tell me how if it's possible.

• 4. Re: AIX Patch Problem -  howto
                Soundappan Shanmugam

There is no roll back yet provided by BMC and it is not recommended aswell by the vendor(OS)