14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 2:48 PM by Jim Campbell

Hotfix return code overrides

Jim Campbell

I'm looking for a way to set a return code override for hotfixes.  I'd prefer a way to override the code for every hotfix in a patch catalog, but I haven't even been able to find a way to script it statically.

I see DepotSoftware.setDepotSoftwareReturnCodeOverridesByDBKey which requires a handle to the hotfix.

I need something to be able to pull all of the handles for hotfixes out of (preferably) a Patch Catalog Smart Group but I could manage it if I could even find a way to get the handles from a Depot Smart Group.  As far as I can tell, DepotObject.getDBKeyByTypeStringGroupAndName doesn't work for even DepotSmartGroups and only works for a depot folder.  I can get the patch names from PatchCatalog.listAllByCatalogNameAndType but I can't get the group.

• 1. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
          Bill Robinson

Try something like:

blcli_execute DepotObject findAllByType 114

blcli_execute DepotObject getDBKey

blcli_execute Utility setTargetObject

blcli_execute Utility listPrint

blcli_storeenv DBKeys

for key in ${DBKeys}

do

blcli_execute DepotSoftware setDepotSoftwareReturnCodeOverridesByDBKey ${key} .. .. .. ..

done

that would set all the hotfix objects to have the same return codes.  if you need to be more specific you need a mapping file and then some other commands in there like 'getName' or something else.

• 2. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
            Jim Campbell

So i'll need to run that, iterate through each key, use DepotObject.getNameByDBKey, compare the name from that to a list of names derived from PatchCatalog.listAllByCatalogNameAndType and set the override code for anything that matches?  Is there really no way to get to a list of database handles for hotfixes from a Depot Smartgroup?

Attempt number 1 at running this just to get a list of the db handles gave:

Command execution failed. java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

so I'm a bit leary of my chances of being able to do all of the above.  Is there any way to get the db keys directly from the database?

• 3. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
              Bill Robinson

You could look at PatchCatalog.getDepotObjectsFromCatalogByOption but i'm not sure what to pass for 'optionid' or 'patchCons'.

You could try 'DepotObject.findAllByGroup' using the group id for I think the catalog, or maybe one of the smart groups under it.  i'm not sure about that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
                Jim Campbell

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: "-Xmx512M"
                Command execution failed. java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

So I'm not sure if this a practical solution at all, unless I've gotten the wrong options for increasing the heap size.

• 5. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
                  Jim Campbell

What is in the input for DepotObject.findAllByGroup?  If i could get this to work (with a smart group) I'd be fine.  I tried giving it an ID from SmartDepotGroup.groupNameToDBKey and SmartDepotGroup.groupNameToId but both times got:

Unknown command : name space = 'DepotObject', command = 'findAllByGroup'.com.bla
                  delogic.cli.factory.CommandNotFoundException: DepotObject,findAllByGroup Method
                  found but with mismatching arguments. Error was : Input '2001712' cannot be conv
                  erted to expected type : interface com.bladelogic.model.group.DepotGroup

Unknown command : name space = 'DepotObject', command = 'findAllByGroup'.com.bla
                  delogic.cli.factory.CommandNotFoundException: DepotObject,findAllByGroup Method
                  found but with mismatching arguments. Error was : Input 'DBKey:SBLGroupModelKeyI
                  mpl:2001712-3130703' cannot be converted to expected type : interface com.bladel
                  ogic.model.group.DepotGroup

• 6. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
                    Bill Robinson

Try this:

>blcli_execute PatchCatalog getCatalogGroupByFullyQualifiedCatalogName 5022 "/Path/to/catalog"

Id = 2002004;Name = Windows;Desc = Contains 2000, 2003, 2008 and all misc software

(sorry, looks like you can't just get the id out)

>blcli_execute DepotObject findAllHeadersByGroup 2002004

>blcli_execute DepotObject getDBKey

>blcli_execute Utility setTargetObject

>blcli_execute Utility listPrint

>blcli_execute Utility setTargetObject

>blcli_storeenv patchKeys

for key in ${patchKeys}

do

DepotSoftware setDepotSoftwareReturnCodeOverridesByDBKey ....

done

• 7. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
                      Jim Campbell

If i'm understanding that last post right, it would pull out everything in the entire catalog instead of only the subset of the patch catalog defined in a Patch Catalog Smart Group?

I was able to do this in an ugly fashion by pulling up a list within the UI from a Patch Catalog Smart Group, set a property on each of the listed hotfixes in the UI, defining a Depot Object smart group that filtered on that property, and then using a variant of the commands you listed above like:

blcli_execute SmartDepotGroup groupNameToId "/Patch Catalogs/Office Whitelist"
                      blcli_storeenv GROUPID

blcli_execute DepotObject findAllByGroup $GROUPID true
                      blcli_storeenv HOTFIXDBKEYS

for HotfixKey in $HOTFIXDBKEYS
                      do
                      HotfixKey=$(echo "$HotfixKey" | tr -d '[' | tr -d ']' | tr -d ',')
                      blcli_execute DepotSoftware setDepotSoftwareReturnCodeOverridesByDBKey $HotfixKey ...

done

(I'm sure there's a more elegant way to strip out extraneous characters but I'm used to perl)

A couple of questions: 1) Is there any way to do this with perl?  I know there's a NSH module for perl but i'm unsure if it allows the use of the 'performance-enhancing' commands. 2) Is there a way to get a list of all (some?) of these 'undocumented' blcli commands?

• 8. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
                        Bill Robinson

Yes, that would be for all patch objects in a catalog.  Do you need to do it only for a subset?

• 9. Re: Hotfix return code overrides
                          Jim Campbell

Yes, from a Patch Catalog Smart Group (where the criterion is "Hotfix where Qnumber is one of Q12345, Q23456, etc")

• 10. Hotfix return code overrides
                            Bill Robinson

if you haven't figured it out, try this:

blcli_execute Group groupNameToId "/Path/to/catalog/smart group" 5017

blcli_execute DepotObject findAllByGroup 2014105 true

blcli_storeenv DBKeys

for key in $DBKeys

do

done

5017 is the 'SMART_WINDOWS_PATCH_CATALOG_GROUP'

• 11. Hotfix return code overrides
                              Jim Campbell

I'll try this out as it would be handy to have a way to access members of Patch Catalog Smart Groups.  I managed to make this work in the way I described above but now I'm not sure if overriding return codes on Hotfixes even works.  All of the hotfixes have the appropriate override but when we run our patch job we still get the error.  We've overriden return codes for other software before successfully, but I don't think we've ever done so for Hotfixes.

• 12. Hotfix return code overrides
                                Jim Campbell

So i used this with the following script:

blcli_connect

blcli_execute Group groupNameToId "/Production Packages/Patch Catalogs/Office 2007 Patch Catalog/test" 5017

blcli_storeenv SGID

blcli_execute DepotObject findAllByGroup $SGID true

blcli_storeenv HOTFIXDBKEYS

for HotfixKey in $HOTFIXDBKEYS

do

HotfixKey=$(echo "$HotfixKey" | tr -d '[' | tr -d ']' | tr -d ',')

echo .

echo -------------------------------------------------------

blcli_execute DepotObject getNameByDBKey $HotfixKey

echo .

blcli_execute DepotSoftware showDepotSoftwareReturnCodeOverridesByDBKey $HotfixKey

done

blcli_disconnect

I used a Patch Catalog Smart Group named "test" with a criterion of "QNUMBER = 'Q982308'".  I set the override return codes for the 6 hotfixes that matched and verified the return codes had been set.  I then run patch analysis and rechecked the return codes, and two of them (presumably the two that were packaged for deployment) were changed.  A patch remediation job came back as failed with the expected (supposedly) overriden exit code.  One of the two offending hotfix depot objects:

Before Patch Analysis (This happened both with and without the override for "success with reboot" being retained when I set the override)

-------------------------------------------------------

excel2007-kb982308-fullfile-x86-glba.exe-MS10-038-en-EXCEL 2007-SP2.

Return Code Overrides for "install" Command:

"success with reboot" override(s) = 3010

"success" override(s) = 17022,17025

Return Code Overrides for "uninstall" Command: none

DBKey:SDepotObjectModelKeyImpl:27617-1-4390170

After Patch Analysis:

-------------------------------------------------------

excel2007-kb982308-fullfile-x86-glba.exe-MS10-038-en-EXCEL 2007-SP2.

Return Code Overrides for "install" Command:

"success with reboot" override(s) = 3010

Return Code Overrides for "uninstall" Command: none

DBKey:SDepotObjectModelKeyImpl:27617-1-4390170

Not sure if this behaviour is intended or not.

• 13. Hotfix return code overrides
                                  Bill Robinson

you know you can use the

instead of the tr's...

i'm wondering if this is expected - because in order to run a patch deploy the role needs software.modify on all the patch objects, so i'm wondering if it's re-writing the return codes during remediation.

i think you did this but try:

dump return codes

set return codes

dump return codes

run paj/remediation

dump return codes

if the return codes change (which i think you are seeing) i'd open a ticket about this.

• 14. Hotfix return code overrides
                                    Jim Campbell

It looks like the "Patch Global Configuration" settings for Windows Patches overwrite any return code overrides you set manually.  I did notice that when using DepotSoftware : setDepotSoftwareReturnCodeOverridesByDBKey that it would overwrite the normal windows override that was previously set (success with reboot for return code 3001).  I would assume that the same function must be getting called when the patches are packaged up.  It would be more convenient if this funciton appended any changes to the override codes rather than overwriting all override codes, but we may be able to just use the global override since the return codes giving us problems seem to be generally useless anyway.