4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 9:24 PM by Joshua Skirde

Add hard disk to VMware

is there any possibility in the Automation Console to add an additional hard disk to a virtual machine? I tried it with an BlPackage, but obviously this doesn't work. I guess there must be another way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Add hard disk to VMware
          Joshua Skirde

You can do it via a BLPackage.I've done it in vCenter 4.0. I don't have access to a vCenter at this particular time but the rough steps are:

- Live Browse to an existing Virtual Machine through the vCenter instance

- Select the existing Hard Disk, right-click, add to package.

- Edit the package

- Add a local property for VM_Name (string)

- Add a local property for Storage_Name (string)

- Add a local property for Disk_No (int)

- Add a local property for Disk_Size (int)

- Change the path of the asset to something more generic like:

/Virtual Machines/??VM_Name??/Hardware/Disks/Hard Disk ??Disk_No??.

- Change the value of "Disk_File" to [??Storage_Name??] ??VM_Name??/??VM_Name??_??Disk_No??.vmdk

- Change the value of "Controller" to SCSI Controller ??Disk_No??

- Change the value of "Disk_Size" to ??Disk_Size??

- Save the package.

You should now have a re-usable package, just specify your VM in VM_Name, Datastore in Storage_Name, the disk order in Disk_No and the size in Disk_Size.

Kind regards,

• 2. Re: Add hard disk to VMware

Hello Joshua,

thanks for your reply. I tried it again with the BlPackage, but on deployment I receive an error message:

--- DAAL putVal returned ERROR=100

Error returned from plug-in ; Plug-in: /DAALDaemonAdapter ; Plug-in function: blAsset_PutValue ; Plug-in asset: BMC_VMware_VirtualMachineHardwareDisk::/Hosts/esx-server/vm123/Hardware/Disks/Festplatte 2 ; Plug-in error code: 100 ; Plug-in error message:

We're using the current BladeLogic version (8.0 SP6) and VMware vCenter 4.1. Is there something which I'm missing?

• 3. Re: Add hard disk to VMware

There was really something I was missing. Somehow an parameter in the Deploy Job was blank, which caused this error. Now it works, thank you very much!

• 4. Re: Add hard disk to VMware
                Joshua Skirde

Very welcome.

For your information, the "Plug-in error code: 100" is a generic error message and just indicates there was an error in talking with the plugin! You can find a bl-vmware.log on the vCenter host under the agent installation directory /vmware that contains more specific information regarding the failure.

Kind regards,