5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 3:02 AM by Jason B

Remove a Part's Property from Component Templates

Hi,

I am trying to add some Windows services to a component template.  One service went through a vendor re-brand and the binary file was moved to the new companies directory.

When i add this service as a part to a template, under Snapshot and selecting the service you can see all of the part's properties (Snapshot / Audit Options).  Each of the properties of a service is listed with a tick under the heading Snapshot and Audit.  How can you remove a property ?  50% of servers fail the audit job because the binary path changed and I wish to remove it from the properties included in the snapshot.

Thanks,

Jason.

• 1. Re: Remove a Part's Property from Component Templates

Hi, I now have this issue on other services where vendors have changed, and thus where the binary gets installed has changed, but the binary itself has not changed.

How can i remove an attribute of the service from the snapshot / audit ?  ie Binary Path ?  this is a real pain !

Thanks,

Jason.

• 2. Re: Remove a Part's Property from Component Templates
            Bill Robinson

if there are gong to be variable paths and such, it may make more sense to use the rules-based compliance here where you can parameterize these checks.

what's the ultimate goal of the audit/snapshot?

• 3. Re: Remove a Part's Property from Component Templates

So, essentially, this particular check is to verify the McAfee installation and also verify the dat files etc are correct.  A new snapshot will be taken weekly, after the dat update, and all servers compared to it, I intend to use that rolling snapshot script you wrote which enables the audit job to use the latest available snapshot.  There are two things that vary.

1) date of the dat

2) the binary path as the product has changed owner, and so this can be 1 of 2 options (currently).

A compliance job doesn't give me the rolling dat file data option, I would have to manually edit the compliance job each week, and I would have to know when a dat file was updated, and the date of it to manually enter in to the compliance job.

the audit job is defo what I want, however as it looks at every attribute of a component in the job, binary path for the service fails on 50% of boxes.

Thanks,

Jason.

• 4. Re: Remove a Part's Property from Component Templates
                Bill Robinson

Is there another way you can use to verify the mcafee installation other than the service?

also, updating the dat file info could be done w/ a property value and a nsh/blcli script that runs every week.

• 5. Re: Remove a Part's Property from Component Templates

I am looking at a  number of things as it seems no 1 check guarantees a service is totally removed.  I guess it would help to know how BL determines if a service exists, and then I could look at replicating that without all the service properties.  I don't get though why there are all the grey tickes next to each properties of a component part, yet you can not uncheck any of them.

so, what does BL check on a Windows server to determine if a service is installed ?