10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 10:30 AM by Luis Garcia Martinez

Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0

Hello.

I am trying to upgrade my application server and schema from 7.6 to 8.0 version.

I upgrade my application instance correctly but when I execute the blmigration_mgr.exe command to upgrade the schema I get next error:

[08 sep 2010 18:54:27,455] [main] [INFO] [::] [] TOP LEVEL MIGRATION EXCEPTION CAUGHT.

Error while checking the DB required version. Error is:<MigUtils::checkDatabaseIsAtValidVersion:: Exception while getting the DBversion.com.bladelogic.mig.framework.common.MigException: MigDatabaseAPI::initializeAPI::Could not retrieve the data source information; The Driver class is null or empty>.Database needs to be at least at version 7.6.0

Knows anyone how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0
          Naveen Anne

What was your original version of BladeLogic? Was it 76 or an earlier vesion like 7.4.x?

What type of database is this - Oracle or SQL Server?

• 2. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0

My original version is 7.6 with SQL Server 2005 on the same server where the application instance of bladelogic is installed.

• 3. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0
              Naveen Anne

Before troubleshooting this issue, question for you - Did you create a back up of your application server and the database before beginning the upgrade process?

To troubleshoot, check to make sure you are upgrading the right instance of the database. May be you are running migration against an older db version while application server is referencing another instance.

• 4. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0

Yes. I am working with a virtual machine and I have a copy of the virtual disk. I just have an instance and a database. This machine hasn't any more applications than Bladelogic.

• 5. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0
                  Naveen Anne

Did you apply any 76 service packs or patches to the server and didn`t apply to the database? Clearly, your database is not 76 version or at the version that the migration manager is expecting it to be.

Unfortunately at this stage, one thing you can try is to install 76 application server and run migration manager from it to make sure the db is upto 76 version. Then run the upgrade 80 on application server and the db.

• 6. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0

Hello again.

I've installed 7.6 and runned migration manager. The migration was successfull. Now, after configurating the application server using the wizzard and with no errors, when I try to start the application server  I get next error:

[14 Sep 2010 12:37:10,718] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] Error installing to Start: name=bladelogic.service.DatabaseService state=Create

My local user "Administrador" is SQL Server administrator, so I configured the application server service to logon with this user and the problem is still there.

Knows anyone how to fix it?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0
                      Naveen Anne

I would check two things here:

1. Go to <BL_INSTALL_DIRECTORY>/bin and run blasadmin. At the blasadmin prompt, type - show data all. Copy and paste the output here.

2. Also, check the permissions on  <BL_INSTALL_DIRECTORY>/br/deployments directory and all files and folders underneath it. The user trying to start the application server should have appropriate permissions on deployments directory and all files and folders underneath it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0

1.- show data all results:

[Database]
                        AutoBatchEnabled:true
                        ConnectionString:jdbc:sqlserver://accw2k3h1:1433;DatabaseName=bladelogic;SelectM
                        ethod=cursor
                        DatabaseInstrumentationFilePath:
                        DatabaseInstrumentationRolloverCount:10
                        DatabaseInstrumentationRolloverSize:10000
                        DatabaseVersion:8.0.0
                        DriverClass:com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
                        FetchSize:100
                        IdleConnectionTestPeriod:600
                        MaxClientConnections:100
                        MaxGeneralConnections:100
                        MaxIdleTime:600
                        MaxJobExecutionConnections:100
                        MaxWaitTime:
                        MinClientConnections:0
                        MinGeneralConnections:0
                        MinJobExecutionConnections:0
                        MinTimeToLog:0
                        Password:NNQPKBWUXKOVNLOKQUNUMNXPVZTUAAKEVEXQQNVAXEPUPQALVMNMWMWXOPLZPNLQ
                        TransactionAttempts:10
                        UserId:bl_admin

2.- I've checked and Administrators local group has full control over the folder and subfolders

• 9. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0
                          Naveen Anne

1. Is your database running?

2. Does the user you are trying to start the application server has appropriate permissions on all files under \BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.0\NSH\br\deployments\default\services ?

3. Make sure all the ports required by application server are available. Sometimes, a port might have been taken during one of your previous tries and it could still be occupied.

4. Copy and paste the full error message here.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Error upgrading from 7.6 to 8.0

Anne.

The whole error was next:

"com.bladelogic.app.service.ServiceInitializationException: Rule migration process did not run. Please run rule migration."

I've read the installation guide and I missed the "Migrating compliance rules and discovery signatures" step. I runned it and now the service get started.

Thanks so much and sorry about the mistake