3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 9:34 PM by Scott Dunbar

Locating domain controllers

Roger May

I need to create a job within BL to locate all domain controllers within the list of servers, then identify which of these are replicated domain controllers. I then intend to run an audit job against the replicated DCs to ensure that policy settings are correct.  Has anyone done anything like this before?

What I need to know is:-

1. Best way to determine which server is a DC

2. Best way to determine if DC is a replicated DC

3. Extract policy settings for replicated DCs

• 1. Re: Locating domain controllers
          Daniel Tharby

Hi Roger,

What version of BL are you using ?

1.     To find out if a server is a DC, you could search for the dcdiag.exe file.

This should only be on the DC's (have just done a check on a standard Win 2K3 Server and one with the ResKit installed - not there).

2.     Not sure on this one...

3.     What policy settings ? you could probably try to extract registry settings but again not sure..

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Locating domain controllers
            Roger May

Thanks for the reply

We are using version 8.0.433

Policy settings are as defined in the User Guide for Server Automation, Installing Agents in a Replicated Domain Controller Environment:-

Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment

Deny Logon Locally

Logon as a batch job

• 3. Re: Locating domain controllers
              Scott Dunbar

Hi Roger,

The command 'dsquery server -forest' might be your friend. Executed on any domain member server.

As for a replicated DC, I think that needs clarification.  All DC's relicate in one form or another.  There is no such term as a replicated DC imo

As for item 3, the command 'secedit' might help you

1 of 1 people found this helpful