1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 6:44 PM by Gerardo Bartoccini

BAO+BL architecture

Gerardo Bartoccini

Hi,

I'm designing an architecture with BAO+BL.

I understand a BL adapter will have to be enabled on BAO and will run on an AP.

In order to connect to BL, there seems to be two alternative choices:

1) the BL adapter runs on an AP where the BL console+NSH+blcli is installed.

2) the BL adapter runs on a LAP on the BL appserver (assuming the console is available there).

What is the recommended choice? I definitely seem to prefer the first one, as I don't like BAO components to run on the BL platform, but I recently heard the second one is used somewhere.

BTW, are there any other (better) options?

Thanks

• 1. Re: BAO+BL architecture
          Girish Tapare

At least one peer should be running on your BL Server. You can use either AP or LAP.

If you want any particular process to be executed on the peer, which you have deployed on your BL box, in that case you can use AP.And if you want only your BL adapater to be configured sucessfully then you can use LAP.

• 2. Re: BAO+BL architecture
            Gerardo Bartoccini

Sorry but I don't understand why this should be mandatory.

Does BAO use the BL console?

Then why does the console have to run on the BL appserver itself?

Provided that BAO (AP, LAP, doesn't matter) can talk to a local BL console, that should be enough.

Can you please explain why LAP has to run on the BL appserver?

• 3. Re: BAO+BL architecture
              Girish Tapare

I think you dont know about BAO. Basically AO will not use your BLConsole for any communication.

Actually Grid manager(BAO component) will executes process(ie. BLCLI commands) on BLServer. If you observe in the BL Adapter configuration you will find one element "    <executable-directory>C:\Program Files\BladeLogic\OM\bin</executable-directory>", Now this path belongs to BLServer.

It is not possible to deploy AO and BladeLogic on the same Box. If you want any BLCLI command to be executed on your BLServer then you have to deploy either AP or LAP on BLServer.

• 4. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                Gerardo Bartoccini

I may not know about BAO (that’s why I am asking), but I think you don't know about BladeLogic.

Let me explain better. I used the word "console" and that may have been misleading. Let's use the word "client", from now on).

When you say that BL adapter needs a local path as a BL executable directory, I still think that this will point to BL client.

The BL adapter uses blcli to interact with BL appserver. blcli is not part of the application server. It's part of the client.

What do you mean when you say: "It is not possible to deploy AO and BladeLogic on the same Box"?

Do you mean the CDP?

Anyway, I don't want to deploy BAO and BL on the same box.

I don't even want an AP or a LAP on BL server.

I am wondering if having the blcli available on an AP (separated from the BL server) will work.

• 5. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                  Girish Tapare

Hi gbartoccini,

Prerequisit for Bldelogic adapter:

1) BladeLogic Console and NSH must be installed on the peer(CDP,AP,LAP)  where the adapter will be enabled.

The application adapter for BladeLogic can make many requests from BAO to the BMC BladeLogic Client(BLConsole) using one of following modes:
                  1) BLCLI commands
                  2) NSH script
                  3) jython script

And "<executable-directory>C:\Program Files\BMC BladeLogic\OM\bin</executable-directory>" element specifies the directory path containing the BMC BladeLogic executables: nsh, BLCLI, and bljython.

And when I said deploying of AO means deploying GRID enviornment which contains Primary CDP.

And one more thing BLCLI will come while installation of BladeLogic Client(console), If you are making BLCLI available to AP then BladeLogic adapter will be properly configured but again it will not be an best option.

I also did some workflows releted to BladeLogic & I executed blcli commands on BladeLogic sucessfully. Also I did project in BladeLogic.

you will find BLCLI command releted help at "C:\Program Files\BMC BladeLogic\OM\Doc\help\cli" this location.

• 6. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                    Gerardo Bartoccini

Ok, now it looks better.

Prerequisit for Bldelogic adapter:

1) BladeLogic Console and NSH must be installed on the peer(CDP,AP,LAP)  where the adapter will be enabled.

Ok, so no need to run the LAP on the BL appserver. The BL adapter needs a BL console, as I was saying.

The  application adapter for BladeLogic can make many requests from BAO to  the BMC BladeLogic Client(BLConsole) using one of following modes:
                    1) BLCLI commands
                    2) NSH script
                    3) jython script

And  "<executable-directory>C:\Program Files\BMC  BladeLogic\OM\bin</executable-directory>" element specifies the  directory path containing the BMC BladeLogic executables: nsh, BLCLI,  and bljython.

Makes sense. You mean containing the client executables, as I was saying. Not the appserver executables

And when I said deploying of AO means deploying GRID enviornment which contains Primary CDP.

Ok

And  one more thing BLCLI will come while installation of BladeLogic  Client(console), If you are making BLCLI available to AP then BladeLogic  adapter will be properly configured but again it will not be an best  option.

Why?

I  also did some workflows releted to BladeLogic & I executed blcli  commands on BladeLogic sucessfully. Also I did project in BladeLogic.

Great!

you will find BLCLI command releted help at "C:\Program Files\BMC BladeLogic\OM\Doc\help\cli" this location.

I know where blcli help is located.

Can you point me to some documentation about the BL adapter and integration between BAO and BL, if any?

Thanks

• 7. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                      Girish Tapare

Can you tell me the AO version & adapter version of BladeLogic?

• 8. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                        Bill Robinson

Why do you need to install any of the bao components on the appserver?

If you need the console and nsh, just install the rcp whereever the adapter is.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                          Naveen Anne

Gerardo

If you have a login id to confluence, you can find very detailed information about BL2Atrium adapter written by Hemant here:

http://confluence.bmc.com:8080/display/BCAS8/FAQs+for+BMC+BladeLogic+Integration+for+Atrium+7.6

This is a BMC Internal site. You need to be in the network. If you haven't registered, you can register and obtain a login id to the site. This site should answer many of your questions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                            Gerardo Bartoccini

Latest versions.

I believe 8.0 SP5 for BL, 7.6.01 for BAO

• 11. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                              Gerardo Bartoccini

Yeah, that's the thing.

It's just that I heard from some people that were in Houston for a Cloud training that the configuration there was with a LAP running on the BL appserver.

I don't like this setup, that's why I was double checking. I'll definitely go for the solution you mentioned.

• 12. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                                Gerardo Bartoccini

Thanks Naveen, I'll have a look

• 13. Re: BAO+BL architecture

Do NOT use BAO 7.6. Stick with version 7.5.

• 14. Re: BAO+BL architecture
                                    Gerardo Bartoccini

Hm. Interesting. I'm still in time to do it.

Is it due to integration issues, or does BAO 7.5 work better?

(I need to explain why, if asked)

1 2 Previous Next