10 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 1:17 PM by Bill Robinson

Legacy VPC reporting

Craig Dockter

We are using an old version of VPC and BladeLogic, 7.4.2.  We recently dicovered a need to generate a listing of all patches for a Linux Patch Analysis job run, grouped by server.  I can't seem to figure out how to create a report to do this and the out-of-box reports work with only one server or patch at a time.  Has anyone created a similar report and would like to share the procedure?

Thanks.

Craig Dockter

Noridian Mutual Insurance Company

• 1. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
          Bill Robinson

The VPC should support reporting, there should be an option w/ the vpc installer to setup vpc reports.

• 2. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
            Craig Dockter

Thanks for the reply Bill.  The VPC reports have been installed and it came with 5 out-of-box reports, Summary by Server, Summary by Patch, Detail by Server, Detail by Patch and Trend By Policy.  None of these allows a selection of all patches for all servers for a prticular job run.

I've looked through the 5 ad hoc report types, Audit, Compliance, inventory, Job Actvity and Scheduled Jobs, but I don't see anything regarding patches.  So I don't really know how to create the report I'm looking for.

Craig Dockter

• 3. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
              Bill Robinson

I don't think you can include the vpc info in any of the other report types.

• 4. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                Craig Dockter

So is it not possible to create a new report from the VPC job runs that includes all patches for all targets in that job run?

Is there any other way of gathering and reporting this information?  I've been playing, unsuccessfully, with creating a compliance template based on the VPC extended object.

Craig Dockter

• 5. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                  Bill Robinson

Not that I've seen.

Do you want to see what patches were deployed in a particular job run?  Or what would need to be deployed for a particular analysis run?

• 6. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                    Craig Dockter

We need to see what patches would be deployed by a particular patch analysis deploy batch job, i.e. the results of a patch analysis job run.  This report would be the basis for a Remedy CRQ.  It would have to list all servers in the batch job as well as all RPMs to be deployed.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Craig Dockter

• 7. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                      Bill Robinson

Do you need a  "report"?  if it's going to feed a ticket or something else, can we just dump out the extended object results after a patch run to a test file and use that?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                        Craig Dockter

No, we don't need to use the reporting module.  A text file that could be e-mailed would be fine.  I assume we could use blcli for this?

Craig Dockter

• 9. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                          Bill Robinson

You may not even need that.  Look in the /usr/nsh/patch// directory, there should be some csv files under there (or in a sub directory), those should be the output of the results, per server.  You could write a script to gather those up after a run (they get replaced after each run I think).

Or we could do a snapshot of the EO on all boxes and use the blcli to dump the snapshot to csv.

• 10. Re: Legacy VPC reporting
                            Craig Dockter

Thanks Bill!  I found the XML files under /usr/nsh/storage/blpackages that are created as part of the BL package to be deployed.  These XML files can be read and the RPM names easily extracted.  I might try your other suggestion too, of dumping the extended object contents.

Thanks for all your help.

Craig Dockter