1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 5:27 AM by Bill Robinson

Skip Linux Pre-Install

I've applied rev 228 in a VM environment (up from 115).  I have a target device that I'd like to provision with Linux.  I boot the target device into the PM via my Windows boot files.  I select the target device inside the PM and select "Provision Now"  Inside the "Associated Boot Image" area, I select "Skip Linux Pre-Install".

The target device begins the provisioning process.  It hits step 4 of 16, "Switch Boot Image" and hangs.  The target device will scroll the attached screenshot until CTRL-C or power cycle.

dummy_kernel.png

Why is it trying to boot to a non-existant stub?

• 1. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install

The device will look for kernel images instead of Gentoo images ans start the installation process from there.

Are the kernel images placed properly under the tftproot/X86PX/pxelinux folder?

if not, the device will boot into a dummy value

• 2. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
            Saurabh Kashikar

Confirm the path of kernel files under Provisioning Manager Console->Tools->Configurations->System Package Types-><Your System Package Type>->Boot Kernel Files and the files present under tftproot/X86PC/pxelinux..

The path is relative to tftproot/X86PC/pxelinux folder..

• 3. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
              Bill Robinson

but when you choose the 'skip linux pre-install' it shouldn't try and boot anything from bladelogic (eg the gentoo images), it should go directly to booting from the redhat/sles/esx kernel and boot image file.

for some reason it's passing 'dummy' as the boot image name, which is correct based on the configuration of that boot image defintion in the configuration, but it my experience it shouldn't be doing that at all.

• 4. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install

Thank you all for the replies.  The input is apprecaited.  However, I was thinking the same thing that Bill expressed.  I had believed that using the "SKIP LINUX PRE INSTALL" option would skip any and all boot file usage once provisioning was initiated from the PM.

I've attached screenshots of different configuration points in my environment.  Please let me know if you would like to see addtional details somewhere or if you see something which may be the cause of my problems.

configs_image_files.JPG

sys_pkg_configs.JPG

prop_dict.JPG

file_structure.JPG

• 5. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                  Bill Robinson

ok - one issue is your OEL boot image config, it should not be using gentoo.  under the X86/pxelinux directory make a dir like "oel54" (or whatever version).  in there you need to put the initrd.img and vmlinuz files from the OEL iso/cdrom, usually inside an 'images' directory there.  in the configs then for the kernel you use oel54/vmlinuz and for the boot image use oel54/initrd.img

the boot images specified in the OS configuration are unmodified boot images for that particular OS/distro, each distro has their own, and they are used unmodified.

• 6. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                    Bill Robinson

ok, so this is werid, i was just messing around w/ my 7.6 env, it's 228 and i just tried a rhel provision w/ the skip linux option, and i'm getting the same issue w/ the boot: dummy not found.  i think the initial boot fix is getting written incorrectly (the one in /usr/nsh/tftproot/X86PC/pxelinux/pxelinux.cfg)

• 7. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install

Ok, so here's what I've come up with on testing.  I did as you suggested with making an /X86PC/pxelinux/OEL54 directory that held initrd.img and vmlinuz.  Then, I updated my System Package Type dialog box to point to the new:

OEL54/vmlinuz

OEL54/initrd.img

I then fired up the VM again, it loaded into PM with the help of my Windows boot files.  I selected "Provision Now" and chose "Skip Linux Pre Install"

The target device still got the "dummy not found" error.

Sooo..I took it one step further and actually made a new boot "Image Files" entry for Linux.  I defined it out to the OEL/initrd.img files.

I re-ran the test and this time, instead of "Skip Linux Pre Install" I selected my newly available "OEL54/initrd.img" boot file.

This time, it booted just fine, but I ended up in a manual installation screen as though I had booted the system off of the Install DVD.

Ideas?

• 8. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                        Bill Robinson

You don't need to define the OS boot images in the 'boot image' configuration tab.

The configurations | boot image tab should contain boot images you've run the image generation process for (gentoo or winpe) - these boot images contain a bladelogic provisioning agent in them to talk to the appserver.

The boot images specified in the OS definition will not contain the bladelogic agent and can't be used in the 'configurations | boot images' area.  these boot images are there because the linux provisioning process uses kickstart, which runs by booting into the OS boot image (rhel, oel, sles) and reading a kickstart file over http.

so what should happen in the normal bladelogic-managed boot process is this:

target boots and boots into default boot image - either winpe or gentoo.

target registers w/ appserver, shows up in the 'imported' area of the PM gui.

you run a provision job against that target, select a linux system package and the gentoo image.

the target reboots, then boots again off of the gentoo image, runs the 'pre-install' section of the system package, then reboots again.

the appserver generates a kickstart file and puts it in the right location.  it also creates a file to tell the target to boot off the OS boot images and to use the kickstart file

now, the box boots off of the os boot image, and uses the kickstart file, os install starts.

if you choose the 'skip linux pre-install' what should happen is this:

target boots and boots into default boot image - either winpe or gentoo.

target registers w/ appserver, shows up in the 'imported' area of the PM gui.

you run a provision job against that target, select the skip boot image

the appserver generates a kickstart file and puts it in the right location.  it also creates a file to tell the target to boot off the OS boot images and to use the kickstart file

now, the box boots off of the os boot image, and uses the kickstart file, os install starts.

so there are a couple issues going on here:

1 - gentoo or bmi do not seem to be cooperating so you can't boot into the gentoo image to do the auto registration.  that's ok, we can use winpe as the default image for this, or you can pre-register the mac address and use the skip linux pre-install.

2 - the skip linux pre-install is broken.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install

Very nice summary, Bill.  That all lines up with exactly what I'm seeing happening in my testing env.  Just for grins, I've pasted in the contents of my /pxelinux/pxelinux.cfg/C0A8F8CA file.  (This file was the only one in that directory that was generated today, so I'm fairly sure it's the right one to look at.)

# Perform a local boot by default
                          default inst

default64 linux64

# Always prompt
                          prompt 1

# Display the bootup message
                          display pxeboot.msg

# Boot automatically after 300 seconds
                          timeout 1

label local
                          localboot 0
                          # The rest of this file is machine-generated

label linux64
                          kernel dummy
                          append initrd=Skip Linux Pre-Install
                          label inst
                          kernel dummy

It's starting to feel like a bug in the product that'll need a hotfix.  Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to troubleshoot.  Should I start a Support ticket pointing to this thread?

• 10. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                            Bill Robinson

I just opened a ticket for this - ISS03602467 if you want to open one too and reference that ticket.

I have the same contents in my pxelinux.cfg/<hostid> file, and I think it's incorrect.  the append and kernel lines should look something like:

KERNEL rhel4/vmlinuz
                            APPEND ksdevice=eth0 ip=dhcp ks=http://192.168.5.5/<mac address> initrd=rhel4/initrd.img

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                              Bill Robinson

we could try and fix the gentoo issue.  then you could use the gentoo boot image.  i thought the skip boot would get us around that problem   you might want to open a ticket for the gentoo issue too.

we can try and step through the bladelogic init script manually in the gentoo image once you break out of the error and see if that sheds more light on the problem...

• 12. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                                Bill Robinson

i went back to 212 and the skip-linux pre-install works fine for me, it seems to have been introduced in 228.

• 13. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install

I rolled my VM snapshots back to my initial 115 conditions (down from 228).  I then applied 212 and gave provisioning a linux box another go using "Skip Linux Pre-Install".  I saw the same behavior with the "dummy" kernel problem.

Suspecting something with the database that didn't roll back or other such funkiness, I rolled my VM's back to physical backups I took prior to any hotfixes with a out-of-box 115 version.  I then applied the REV 212 patch.  I'm seeing the same behavior with the "dummy" kernel!

My pxelinux/pxelinux.cfg/<boot file> still contains:

label linux64
                                  kernel dummy
                                  label inst
                                  kernel dummy

I'm pulling my hair out!  Any ideas on where to start looking into what went wrong?

• 14. Re: Skip Linux Pre-Install
                                    Bill Robinson

can you delete all the files under pxelinux.cfg and try again?

1 2 Previous Next