9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 8:50 AM by Bill Robinson

Converting from single to multiple appservers

Steven Wyns

Hi,

We currently have our environment (version 7.6.0) set up with a single application server (which is also the fileserver). We want to change this to a multi application server environment.

The plan is:

- to use the current application server as a dedicated fileserver

- use 2 new servers as application servers as job executers

- use 2 new application servers to serve the console connections

remarks:

- the fileserver can be referenced with an alias

- the console application servers are behind a round robin DNS alias (load balancing)

The Instalation and Administration guides aren't that clear on this type of conversion. Has anyone done this before? Do you have a list of things that have to be done, or kept in mind? special remarks?

I figure I'll have to install an application server on each of the new servers, and configure them for what they are intended. What about VPC and BSARA? I've oticed that the installation of VPC asks if you have a single or multi appserver environment (ofcource we've seleted "single" in the past).

Kind regards,

• 1. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
          Bill Robinson

this is for a unix environment, for a windows env, ignore the bits about the VPC nfs mount, if you're using windows we'll have to do something else w/ that.

export the VPC location

the VPC install path (eg /usr/nsh/patch) needs to be nfs mounted by all your appservers, so you may want to export that directory from the current install location.

install the new appservers

then install the appserver binary on the new servers.  copy the /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_template/bladelogic.keystore file from the 1st appserver to the same location on all the other appservers.  make sure the keystore password on all new servers is set to whatever it was on the 1st server. copy the /usr/nsh/share/sensors and /usr/nsh/scripts directories from the 1st appserver to the others.  mount the /usr/nsh/patch from the 1st appserver to all other appservers.

config the new appservers

startup the new servers.  log into the 1st appserver w/ your CM gui, goto the tools | infrastructure menu and make sure you can see the new servers.  under the 'appserver launchers' icon, edit each new appserver and change it to the appropriate type (eg JOB, CONFIG). set the appserverurl setting on the config servers to be that of the VIP name. restart each of the new servers, check infra manager to see if they are up.

config your CM gui to connect to the VIP name. and make sure you can login

shutdown the 1st appserver and configure it to not start at boot.

that should mostly do it...

• 2. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
            Steven Wyns

Hi Bill,

We are running on windows so I think we need another solution there. Any ideas?

The rest of the procedure seems complete and easy. Thanx!

• 3. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
              Bill Robinson

for vpc and windows you can't do that nfs mount for the vpc, everything else should work though.

re-install the VPC on one of the job appservers and setup job routing rules to send all of the VPC jobs to that job server.  change the vpc EOs to include the path of the job server you installed on.

• 4. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers

Hi Steven,

Let's talk about when I'm on site next week.

Cheers,

-John.

John Landells

Senior Consultant, EMEA

BMC Software

+44-(0)7970-784130

• 5. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
                  Steven Wyns

Hi Bill,

I've installed one application server already. I've disabled the multiappserver featue via blasadmin to keep them from exchanging jobs untill I have a solution for patch management.

I was wondering, I've installed my first additional server as appserver and provisioning server. But should I choose to install the provisioning server aswell on the second server? I guess I would, since that gives me the possibillity to shut down every application server. As long as one keeps on processing the work and jobs?

Is this good practice or am I losing track here

John,

Let's say that's a deal

• 6. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
                    Bill Robinson

the 'provisioning server' is really just setting the appserver ssl port to 9831. unless you setup some kind of vip, only 1 prov server can be used at a time per dhcp range, because it's handed out by your dhcp server, and we can only hand out 1 address per scope.  so to switch to another prov server you'd have to go in and change your dhcp options.  it's not going to hurt to install it, and it's pretty easy to add later on.

• 7. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
                      Steven Wyns

Hi,

Thanx, in that case I will just install it. Easy to change afterwards

Kind regards,

• 8. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
                        Steven Wyns

Hi Bill,

One more question:

You've mentioned how to config the appserver type:

config the new appservers

startup the new servers.  log into the 1st appserver w/ your CM gui, goto the tools | infrastructure menu and make sure you can see the new servers.  under the 'appserver launchers' icon, edit each new appserver and change it to the appropriate type (eg JOB, CONFIG).

But I'm not able to change the type, and considering the administration guide, this seems to be normal

Server Profile Type(s) The Application Server’s type, as specified during configuration.

The type can be one or more of the following: CONFIGURATION,JOB, NSH, or ALL. See

Application Server Types.

You cannot edit this attribute.

Do I need to change this with blasadmin or something else?

Kind regards,

• 9. Re: Converting from single to multiple appservers
                          Bill Robinson

Oh, you're right.  you'd need to create new instances for JOB, CONFIG, etc and then shutdown / disable the ALL instance created by default.