8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 5:00 PM by Mike Reider

Unable to read information from launcher

I am using Bladelogic Operations Manager 7.6 on Windows 2003 SP2 connected to a SQL 2005 Database server. I have installed a new Bladelogic Application server and configured it to use the same database as the original one.  The new server starts, but I am get error "Unable to read information from launcher: lons00106669. Check to make sure that the bladelogic.keystore file is consistent across all application servers and launchers." when I try and view the Application Server Launcher in Infrastructure Managerment.

I have tried to copy the bladelogic.keystore from the original server to all folders under deployments on the new server, but then the Bladelogic Application Server service will not even start.

console.log:
      [13 Apr 2010 13:10:37,527] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] problems reading or parsing keystore file:D:\APPS\Bladelogic\OM\br\deployments\default\bladelogic.keystore
      [...]
      Caused by: com.bladelogic.mfw.util.BlException: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
          at com.bladelogic.security.cert.AppServerKeyStore.<init>(AppServerKeyStore.java:108)
          at com.bladelogic.security.cert.AppServerKeyStore.getInstance(AppServerKeyStore.java:181)
          at com.bladelogic.security.cert.AppServerKeyStore.getInstance(AppServerKeyStore.java:173)
          at com.bladelogic.app.service.client.ServerSocketFactory.getAppServerKeyStore(ServerSocketFactory.java:176)
          at com.bladelogic.app.service.client.ServerSocketFactory.createSocketFactory(ServerSocketFactory.java:149)
          ... 33 more
      Caused by: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
          at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineLoad(Unknown Source)
          at java.security.KeyStore.load(Unknown Source)
          at com.bladelogic.security.cert.AppServerKeyStore.<init>(AppServerKeyStore.java:86)
          ... 37 more

Same in appserver.log

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Unable to read information from launcher
          Bill Robinson

Is the keystore password set to the correct password for each instance?

• 2. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher

I have created certificate with the commandfor location -

1. <BL_DIR>/br/deployments/default/
            2. <BL_DIR>/br/deployments/_launcher/
            3. <BL_DIR>/br/deployments/_spawner/
            4. <BL_DIR>/br/deployments/_template/

keytool -genkey -alias blade -keyalg RSA -keysize 1024 -dname "CN=hostname" -keypass password1 -storepass password1 -keystore "<install_dir>/br/bladelogic.keystore" -validity 1000

and when I try and start the Bladelogic Application Server service it stops straight away and I get this in the AppServerLauncher.log:

[14 Apr 2010 09:58:45,244] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting application server launcher ...
            [14 Apr 2010 09:58:45,666] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting RMI registry on host: lons00106669
            [14 Apr 2010 09:58:45,869] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] problems reading or parsing keystore file:D:\APPS\Bladelogic\OM\br\deployments\_launcher\bladelogic.keystore
            [14 Apr 2010 09:58:55,744] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting application server launcher ...
            [14 Apr 2010 09:58:56,150] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting RMI registry on host: lons00106669
            [14 Apr 2010 09:58:56,354] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] problems reading or parsing keystore file:D:\APPS\Bladelogic\OM\br\deployments\_launcher\bladelogic.keystore

• 3. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher
              Bill Robinson

did  you set the keystore password in blasadmin to match the password set on the keystore?

• 4. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher

How do i do that...

Thanks...

• 5. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher
                  Bill Robinson

Blasadmin -a set app certpass

Blasadmin -s _spawner set proc keystorepassword <password

• 6. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher

Nops..It didn't work.. I can see the same error. Any other thoughts..

• 7. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher
                      Bill Robinson

I just got a similar error on one of my VMs after a botched upgrade.  I was able to do:

Copy a keystore w/ a known passwd to br/deployments/*/bladelogic.keystore.

Blasadmin -a set app certpass

And I got past this.

• 8. Re:  Unable to read information from launcher
                        Mike Reider

We had pretty much same issue. Keystore file got corrupt, when we tried starting app server, we got this message

[31 Mar 2011 15:33:06,452] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting application server launcher ...

[31 Mar 2011 15:33:07,633] [main] [INFO] [::] [] Starting RMI registry on host: ROSETSTBL76AP01

[31 Mar 2011 15:33:07,894] [main] [ERROR] [::] [] problems reading or parsing keystore file:/usr/nsh/br/deployments/_launcher/bladelogic.keystore

after fiddling with different versions of keystore files, we decided to regenerate a brand new keystore with brand new password. We have 2 app servers (Solaris 10, Oracle 11g, BL version 7.6)

the way to generate and deploy new keystore files is as follows

1. go to your app servers(APP01, APP02), delete all bladelogic.keystore files from

/usr/nsh/br
                          /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_templates
                          /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_launcher
                          /usr/nsh/br/deployments/default
                          /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_spawner (APP01 only)
                        2. on AP01, generate new keystore file by running this,
                          go to /usr/nsh/br/java/bin

run
                          $> ./keytool -genkey -alias blade -keyalg RSA -keysize 1024 -dname CN=hostname -keypass Password123 -storepass Password123 -keystore /usr/nsh/br -validity 1000

this will generate a new keystore file

3. copy the new keystore file to all /deployments paths (_templates, _launcher, default, _spawner)

$> cp /usr/nsh/br/bladelogic.keystore /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_templates
                          $> cp /usr/nsh/br/bladelogic.keystore /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_launcher
                          $> cp /usr/nsh/br/bladelogic.keystore /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_spawner
                          $> cp /usr/nsh/br/bladelogic.keystore /usr/nsh/br/deployments/default

4. after copying the files, change the ownership on the deployments keystore files to bladmin

$> chown bladmin:bladmin /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_templates/bladelogic.keystore
                          $> chown bladmin:bladmin /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_launcher/bladelogic.keystore
                          $> chown bladmin:bladmin /usr/nsh/br/deployments/_spawner/bladelogic.keystore
                          $> chown bladmin:bladmin /usr/nsh/br/deployments/default/bladelogic.keystore

5. go back to /usr/nsh/br path and run the following blasadmin commands

// set app server to new password
                          $> ./blasadmin -a
                          bladmin> set appserver CertPasswd Password123
                          bladmin> exit

// set _launcher to new password
                          $> ./blasadmin -s _launcher
                          bladmin>
                          set AppServerLauncher KeyStorePassword Password123
                          bladmin> exit

// set _spawner to new password
                          $> ./blasadmin -s _spawner
                          bladmin>
                          set ProcessSpawner KeyStorePassword Password123
                          bladmin>exit

6. start the app server
                          /etc/init.d/blappserv start

if the app server starts, proceed to next step, check appserver.log and AppServerLauncher.log (located in /usr/nsh/br) to make sure server starts up ok. If server doesnt start check Unix permissions on all keystore files.
                        7. If 1st appserver starts up ok, its time to get 2nd app server started. Copy the keystore file generated in Step # 2 to APP02 server (this has to be the same file, do not generate 2 separate keystore files!!)
                        8. Perform steps #3-4 on APP02
                        9. For step #5, run all blasadmin commands except _spawner, since its not present in /deployments
                        10. start second appserver. They should both now be up and running (and synced)

the only issue we currently have is that when we start the appservers, we get this error

APP01 :/usr/nsh/br # /etc/init.d/blappserv start

Starting BladeLogic AppServer ... mesg: /dev/pts/1: Operation not permitted

OK

the appserver actually starts ok, but this error is weird, not sure why its saying this.