5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 10:34 AM by Bill Bruncati

Auditing /sbin directory

Bill Bruncati

Running BL 7.6 on Solaris 10.  I've created a component that contains the /sbin directory.

There are two types of instances of  the component where the Master ( Au ) component

has a complete copy of the sbin direcotory  in /golden_copies/os/..../....   ( please see screenshots) .

The standard instance of the component just has regular /sbin.

I can browse both sbin parts with no problems. However, when I audit the component , I get the expected

results except to the sbin part.  sbin on the standard instance of the components is seen as an additional

child. Therefore, all the files under it are listed in blue since there are seen by the audit as additional

Please see the screenshots and let me know what I'm missing.

sbin listing in Master component

master component _sbin.jpg

sbin listing on Target

target component of sbin.jpg

Audit of Master vs Target shows that target has a new child sbin and addtional blue files.

However, I know both sbin directories match.

results are seeing a child sbin and files in it as additiona.jpg

• 1. Re: Auditing /sbin directory
          Fred Breton

It seems that your target directory sbin contain an other sbin directory, that's it. By the way, could you provide the values of the properties for the commponent used as a master and thoses for the component used as a target?

• 2. Re: Auditing /sbin directory
            Bill Bruncati

Enclosing screenshots. As you can see, my Target /sbin listing does not show any child "sbin"

Also, attaching properties for Master and Target instances. Only difference in theit  properties is that

the Master has some  preceding directories leading up to sbin.

Basically, I have a Master server with a "/golden_copies" directory. . I've used this setup to successfully

audit  target components versus their counterpart "golden copy"  component on the Master server.

Target Live /sbin listing

SCRI01 does not have sbin_sbin.jpg

Master Instance Properties

Master Instance Props.jpg

Target Instance Properties. No leading "golden_copies" dir, therefore default to / .

Target Instance Props.jpg

• 3. Re: Auditing /sbin directory
              Bill Robinson

I think you have some paths screwed up in there somewhere, maybe in the property instance setup.  I'm not sure what though.

• 4. Re: Auditing /sbin directory
                Bill Bruncati

Thanks. I think the problem is the initial /'s . I think NSH is interpreting those and looking for a hostname

after // .

While I was looking around, I noticed files in /usr/sbin
                are linked back to /sbin. Therefore, I added /usr/sbin part to the template with no problem and will
                audit that.

• 5. Re: Auditing /sbin directory
                  Bill Bruncati

Just to clarify. I put a ticket in and Tim Biron's suggestion  helped clear up my

problem with extra  slashes .

I had a number of Local Properties defined  in my Template. The extra slashes came about

when I would define my Parts with   ??Property1??/??Property2??/  .  The unfortunate effect

of this is that if the Property* isn't found , the slash stays there and can add to the path of

a file. For example //etc/hosts.

The better way is to leave the slashes out of the Parts definition, and put them in the instance

definition.  This way, when the instance is found, the slashes are added, if not found , then you're

not adding extra slashes.

For example.   Local Properties: Prop1 = /golden_dir1

Prop2 = /golden_dir2

Au Instance = ??Prop1??Prop2??/etc/hosts

Std Instance =    /etc/hosts

Discovery =  /golden_dir1/golden_dir2/etc/hosts  for Au Instance

/etc/hosts                                     for Std Instance