8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2020 1:23 AM by Marek Ceizel

Edit PrimaryCapability List

Share This:

Hi there,

is there any side effect in editing the Primarycapability list? I would like to add few items at the very end of the list (Like "Layer 2 Switch" and "Multi Layer Switch")

Thanks in advance

D

• 1. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List

This is the list of capabilities Atrium offers:

Not Dedicated;Unknown;Other;Storage;Router;Switch;Layer 3 Switch;Central Office Switch;Hub;Access Server;Firewall;Print;I/O;Web Caching;Server;Management;Block Server;File Server;Mobile User Device;Repeater;Bridge/Extender;Gateway;LoadBalancer;Mainframe;SANSwitch;SANHub;SANBridge;SANRouter;SANDirector;RAIDStorageDevice;Virtual Tape Library;JBOD;Workstation;StorageSubsystem;Storage Virtualizer;Media Library;ExtenderNode;NAS Head;Self-contained NAS;UPS;IP Phone;Management Controller;Chassis Manager;Host-based RAID controller;Storage Device Enclosure;Desktop;Laptop;Virtual Library System;Blade System;Blade Server

As i need to insert in the CMDB some devices whose capability is not included in the default list, I am asking how to solve my problem.

My idea would be to extend the list to:

Not Dedicated;Unknown;Other;Storage;Router;Switch;Layer 3 Switch;Central Office Switch;Hub;Access Server;Firewall;Print;I/O;Web Caching;Server;Management;Block Server;File Server;Mobile User Device;Repeater;Bridge/Extender;Gateway;LoadBalancer;Mainframe;SANSwitch;SANHub;SANBridge;SANRouter;SANDirector;RAIDStorageDevice;Virtual Tape Library;JBOD;Workstation;StorageSubsystem;Storage Virtualizer;Media Library;ExtenderNode;NAS Head;Self-contained NAS;UPS;IP Phone;Management Controller;Chassis Manager;Host-based RAID controller;Storage Device Enclosure;Desktop;Laptop;Virtual Library System;Blade System;Blade Server;Layer 2 Switch;Layer2/3 Switch; Layer2/4 Switch;RPS

but, my concern is that I'm not entirely sure this operation has NO consequences at all.

Has anybody here ever had the same problem? If so, what did you do in order to solve the matter?

• 2. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List
            Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi,

There are no consequences in adding item to the primary capability list. The menu will automatically populate with your new entries, and you will be able to select form those for new/existing CIs.

Note that if you are using Atrium core 7.5/7.6, the Atrium Explorer will lack icons for this new primary capabilities, and this, will use the default icon for the class.

Hope that helps.

Gustavo,

Atrium Core Support,

BMC Software

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List

Thanks ;-)

this is going to save me a lot of extra work!!

• 4. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List
                Paul Seager-Smith

The only caveat that I would mention is if you have asset management installed. This keeps its own list of primary capabilities that, at least for CMDB 2.1 used to differ from the CMDB versions, so you would need to ensure that they are also added into asset management too.

Paul

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List

Thanks Paul,

I do have Asset Management installed, and i'm going to make sure that the same list goes there as well.

Cheers

• 6. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List
                    Marek Ceizel

Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi Gustavo,

This is an extra old thread but I have similar question for 20.02. Do you think it is still safe to extend the PrimaryCapability Selection content ?

thanks a lot

Marek

• 7. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List
                      Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi Marek,

There were multiple upgrade problems with customer who manipulated the Primary Capability. This issue was there becuase our installer was trying to edit the list to add new items we included in newer versions and the installer was failing because of the custom items.

In newer versions of the installer we make smarter customization detection, but still this could be a problem if in that version we added new items and there is a conflict (for example your custom items has same name as ours or same ID).

In any case, those failures are easy to detect in installer logs and easy to fix (export custom attribute items, delete custom items, upgrade, reimport attribute items).

Hope that helps.

• 8. Re: Edit PrimaryCapability List
                        Marek Ceizel

Thank you so much Gustavo. That helps.