13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 8:21 AM by Mark Walters

Records in AR System User Preference

Marek Ceizel

Hi,

I hope this will be not too stupid question but I had some problems with that I i'd like to know what it means.

After User synchronization from LDAP (LDAP vendor form to CTM:People) I needed to try something so I removed the synchronized users (it was only 5 records) and started synchronization again. Records were not imported again because of unique index which I found later in AR System User Prefence.

But this created a lot of questions which I cannot answer. Can you please help me with some of them ?

- Is the "AR System User Preference" form some kind of extension of "CTM:People" form ?

- Why records deleted from CTM:People are not deleted from AR System User Preference ?

- Why I can see in AR System User Preference only imported users and not every users from CTM:People ?

- Why defined parameter (which is btw required) "Short Description" which I connected to an attribute from LDAP is not set but 10 other variables are defined like I set ? (in AR System User preference I see the default "Preference entry for xxx" but I set it to something other).

- Where in CTM:People can I see the Short description ? (I think when it's required it should be also displayed at least).

sorry to attack with these, but I will be happy to have clear answer to any of them.

thanks a lot in advance

Marek

• 1. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
          Vishnuprasad Kottapally

How did you delete the people records...did you delete them from back end??
          Unique index of AR System User Preference is nothing to do with People form

is the error like this??
          ARERR [382] The value(s) for this entry violate a unique index that has been defined for this form : CTM:People entry:PPL000000767739 fields: 1000000018 1000000019 1 4 1000000054 1000000017...........

if yes please post the exact error here

Q&A

Is the "AR System User Preference" form some kind of extension of "CTM:People" form ?
          No

Why records deleted from CTM:People are not deleted from AR System User Preference ?
          will not be deleted because there is no relation between them

Why I can see in AR System User Preference only imported users and not every users from CTM:People ?

There will be no entry created in "AR System User Preference" on import in people

Why defined parameter (which is btw required) "Short Description" which I connected to an attribute from LDAP is not set but 10 other variables are defined like I set ? (in AR System User preference I see the default "Preference entry for xxx" but I set it to something other).

take out this (Preference entry for $USER$) from field properties of Short Description

- Where in CTM:People can I see the Short description ? (I think when it's required it should be also displayed at least).

it is required  because it is a core filed and it is hidden that is why you cant see.

Regards,
          Vishnu

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
            Marek Ceizel

Hello Vishnu,

thanks to your answers this system will be my hobby

If I'm right..... The AR System User Preference is some additional form used by importing which stays filled with the imported data. So if I want to import again the same data I have to emty also this form in addition to CTM:People. Corrcet ?

If yes then first 3 questions are clear.

To the other 3 it's also clear now.

thanks a lot. really really

best regards

Marek

• 3. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
              Vishnuprasad Kottapally

You can empty it and re load the people.

nothing happens in user pref form on IMPORTing people..

Regards,

Vishnu

• 4. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                Marek Ceizel

yes I did. all clear

thanks

• 5. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                  Marek Ceizel

Just to note, because you wrote "nothing happens in user pref form on IMPORTing people.."

This form (AR System User Preference) is filled with imported users. Each one is one record. Without removing here, it's not possible to import again a user with the same Login Name.

as I wrote, just to note

• 6. Re: Records in AR System User Preference

Hi Vishnu,

As you said there is no relation ship between CTM:People Form and User PreferenceForm, so how the entry is reflecting in the User Preference form,

As i am stuck, i am unable to see the entry in User Preference form for themost of the User.

Can you please through some light on this

Thanks

Anand

• 7. Re: Records in AR System User Preference

HI freeangel,

I can just give my answer to the 1st question that you raised:

- Is the "AR System User Preference" form some kind of extension of "CTM:People" form ?

>>> It's not really an extension, but there is a relationship that exists between them. For an instance, if you modify the field "notification language" in CTM People, the corresponding entry in AR System User Preference form will be updated as well, particularly the "User Locale" field. The User Preference form is being used by Remedy when you specify a server preference when connecting (this is more like a centralized lookup form).

From the past, I remember doing some integration between a 3rd-party HR system and Remedy. The following forms, more or less, will need to be looked at everytime you do some create/modify actions to CTM People:

User

AR System User Preference

CTM:People Permission Groups

It is always recommended to have a staging form for People records to do all the necessary checking first before loading them directly to CTM:People form.

If you want to know what other actions will be triggered from CTM People to User Preference, try enabling the Filter logging when doing submit/modify/delete actions.

Cheers,

gabud

• 8. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                        Sanjay Sonar

Hi Anand,

The same issue you faced is now I am facing.

I have some entries in people form but there is no entry for them in AR System User Preferences form.

But if I create any new entry in People form then entry for that new user is get created in user preference form too.

Did you find solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Sanjay

• 9. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                          Marek Ceizel

Hi Sanjay,

that doesn't need to be really a problem. actually if we have some problems with a user (displaying problems, problems by login, etc....) we delete the AR System User Preferences record for that user in the form and it helps many times.

The record is automatically newly created after some setting change or can be created as a copy of another user preferences record.

regards

Marek

• 10. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                            Gordon James

Hi there

Each time i remove an entry in the User Preferences form (as you mentioned), the User is presented with a Warning stating:-

"You have modified your preferences using AR System User Preferences form". You need to log in again for these changes to take effect".

Is there a way to avoid this ?

Once this is "OK" 'ed then a new record inthe Uer Preferences is created.

• 11. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                              LJ LongWing

Gordon,

If I'm not mistaken, that's a filter that fires on the preference form, if you disable that filter, it should stop the notification.

• 12. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                                Steve Williams

I have the same question.

Once the data is removed in the AR System User Preference form how is the record get recreated?

• 13. Re: Records in AR System User Preference
                                  Mark Walters

A user can create a new record for themselves or an admin can create one for them.

Creating BMC Remedy AR System user preference records - Documentation for Remedy IT Service Management Suite 18.08 - BMC…